* [9fans] GSoC 2009: Plan 9 is in!
@ 2009-03-18 18:49 Anthony Sorace
From: Anthony Sorace @ 2009-03-18 18:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs, plan9-gsoc

Folks:
	Short version: we made the cut. Join the plan9-gsoc Google group
(and/or come hang out in #plan9-gsoc on Freenode) if you want more
info.

	Longer version: Google has accepted just over 1/3 of applying
organizations: 150 of 395. The program admin says the application
quality was the best she's seen so far, and many projects that've
worked with them before got rejected. I think this speaks well of our
ability to address some of Google's bigger concerns from 2008 (largely
based on our 2007 participation), and generally of progress we've made
over the last two years towards making things a bit more friendly for
students.

	Thanks to everyone who's contributed ideas for students or agreed to
mentor so far. Thanks to the community generally, and the folks at
Bell Labs, of course. Thanks in particular to Noah and Uriel for
helping with the application and understanding our previous issues,
and to Uriel for the work that's gone into cat-v.org, which helped a
lot in practical terms.

	The next tasks are ensuring our info is tidy for the pending rush of
students, getting mentors to stick their names on particular projects,
and agreeing on the set of projects we want to do (we're asking for
far fewer this year; quality of quantity). Once things are fully
underway, I'll be making regular reports here on progress of the GSoC
participation generally, and you'll be hearing project-specific things
from students and mentors. Most of the ongoing discussion specific to
GSoC will be taking place in the plan9-gsoc Google group, or on
#plan9-gsoc on freenode.

Anthony Sorace

* Re: [9fans] GSoC 2009: Plan 9 is in!
@ 2009-03-20  3:07 ` Dave Eckhardt
From: Dave Eckhardt @ 2009-03-20  3:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Congratulations!

I'm glad to have been so totally wrong about our prospects.

Dave Eckhardt

* Re: [9fans] GSoC 2009: Plan 9 is in!
@ 2009-03-20 12:06 ` Anthony Sorace
From: Anthony Sorace @ 2009-03-20 12:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lucio, Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

There's a GSoC-specific google group for tossing ideas around in, and
later for student discussion and ongoing work. You're encouraged to
propose project ideas and whatnot there. join plan9-gsoc. If you
decide you want to mentor, specifically, contact me directly.

* Re: [9fans] GSoC 2009: Plan 9 is in!
@ 2009-03-20  9:16 lucio
From: lucio @ 2009-03-20  9:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Congratulations!
>
> I'm glad to have been so totally wrong about our prospects.

While on the subject, I may be able to help with supervision, if
required.  Should I submit any details?  Where?

++L