* [9fans] const if false
@ 2007-01-16 17:39 ron minnich
From: ron minnich @ 2007-01-16 17:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

it's on something like this:

if (A != 0 && keylen != A) {
}

gets an error 'const if false'

A is defined to zero. So, what do I care if 'const if false'. I did
not write this code ... but it's what they want, evidently.

ron

* Re: [9fans] const if false
@ 2007-01-16 18:02 ` Devon H. O'Dell
From: Devon H. O'Dell @ 2007-01-16 18:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

2007/1/16, ron minnich <rminnich@gmail.com>:
> it's on something like this:
>
> if (A != 0 && keylen != A) {
> }
>

> gets an error 'const if false'
>
> A is defined to zero. So, what do I care if 'const if false'. I did
> not write this code ... but it's what they want, evidently.

I guess because the first part of the if is always false, the if is
useless and it is telling you to fix `your' code.

--dho

> ron

* Re: [9fans] const if false
@ 2007-01-16 18:19   ` Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2007-01-16 18:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

It sounds like you are running 8c -c file.c
to compile file.c into an object file.
This is a typical Unix command line,
but on Plan 9 the compilers create object
files, not executables, by default, so
you can just say "8c file.c".  Adding -c
just sets the 'c' flag, which causes the
compiler to print some more information
about control flow, in this case a print about
the const if false.

If you just run 8c file.c (or even 8c -w file.c),
you shouldn't see this message.  If you still
see a message, please report exactly what it is.

Russ

* Re: [9fans] const if false
@ 2007-01-16 18:32     ` ron minnich
From: ron minnich @ 2007-01-16 18:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 1/16/07, Russ Cox <rsc@swtch.com> wrote:
> It sounds like you are running 8c -c file.c
> to compile file.c into an object file.

That's it. I missed that when converting this python goo.

Thanks

ron