* [9fans] httpd and %20
@ 2007-03-03  9:54 ron minnich
From: ron minnich @ 2007-03-03  9:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

I have a url, produced from iweb, that is this:
<a style="display: block; height: 24px; left: 463px; position:
absolute; top: 0px; width: 63px; z-index: 2; "
onmouseout="NBmouseout('3');" href="SC%202006.html"
onmouseover="NBmouseover('3');"></a>

note that SC%202006.html

The directory  is named this:
--rw-r--r-- M 251264 bootes bootes 43806 Mar  2 16:36 '/usr/web/SC 2006.html'

note space.

When I hit that URL in the browser, I get this:
Object not found
The object /SC does not exist on this server.

So, ok, I find it a little hard to believe that the %20 junk is not
supported in httpd, but before i go tearing into the code again, I
thought I would ask ...

it sure seems that httpd is not parsing something right, but ... anybody know?

ron

* Re: [9fans] httpd and %20
@ 2007-03-03 11:41 ` Kris Maglione
From: Kris Maglione @ 2007-03-03 11:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Sat, Mar 03, 2007 at 02:54:46AM -0700, ron minnich wrote:
>I have a url, produced from iweb, that is this:
><a style="display: block; height: 24px; left: 463px; position:
>absolute; top: 0px; width: 63px; z-index: 2; "
>onmouseout="NBmouseout('3');" href="SC%202006.html"
>onmouseover="NBmouseover('3');"></a>

Is there some reason that we should know of such superfluous javascript
and inline CSS noise? It would be kinder to those of us who would like
to forget that such things as JS, inline CSS and, indeed, even SGML,
exist, yet still beleive that Plan 9 should have a well functioning http
server, if you left such things out. It would also be more helpful if
you gave a more direct example with less interfering factors. For
instance:

hget 'http://localhost/SC%202006.html'

Or, even better, in the way of ruling out interference:

{ dir=/net/tcp/^`{read}
  echo connect 127.0.0.1!80 >$dir/ctl
  cat <<! >$dir/data
  cat $dir/data
} </net/tcp/clone
GET /SC%202006.html HTTP/1.1
Host: foo.com

!

Incidentally, I think that I'm coming off harsher than I intend, but I
haven't been able to sleep tonight.

--
Kris Maglione

If you can't convince them, confuse them.

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 194 bytes --]

* Re: [9fans] httpd and %20
@ 2007-03-03 15:54   ` Skip Tavakkolian
From: Skip Tavakkolian @ 2007-03-03 15:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

ron,  iirc this was fixed in libhttpd - it's in abspath(). might
need a recompile?

> Is there some reason that we should know of such superfluous javascript
> and inline CSS noise?

i'll take a colorful description over unhelpful snarky diatribe.

* Re: [9fans] httpd and %20
@ 2007-03-03 16:08     ` Kris Maglione
From: Kris Maglione @ 2007-03-03 16:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Sat, Mar 03, 2007 at 07:54:07AM -0800, Skip Tavakkolian wrote:
>> Is there some reason that we should know of such superfluous javascript
>> and inline CSS noise?
>
>i'll take a colorful description over unhelpful snarky diatribe.

Snarky diatribe or not, it's still valid. Why do we need to see 3 lines
of noisy, superfluous data, with the relevant bit stuck in the middle?
Worse, the link contained javascript events that could have, for all I
know, not knowing their functions, interfered with the functioning of
the link. Regardless, the whole URL and its source in iweb is entirely
irrelevant to the issue: httpd doesn't seem to handle %20 correctly.
Why couldn't the testcase have been something simple and obvious, rather
than a bloated piece of HTML?

At any rate, it was not intended as unhelpful diatribe. I don't care
much if people want to use all of the ugly features of HTML and the "Web
2.0", but I'd prefer not to run across it when I'm reading 9fans. Plan 9
is the one sane corner of the computer world that I can take solace in.
I know that I'm not the only one who feels this way, and I meant it as a
sincere request for courtesy.

--
Kris Maglione

Just because you are paranoid
doesn't mean "they" aren't out to get you.

@ 2007-03-03 19:33       ` ron minnich
From: ron minnich @ 2007-03-03 19:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 3/3/07, Kris Maglione <bsdaemon@comcast.net> wrote:

> At any rate, it was not intended as unhelpful diatribe.

Motrin.

ron