* [9fans] writing 9p servers and clients under gnu/linux
@ 2007-03-30  8:02 Enrico Weigelt
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Enrico Weigelt @ 2007-03-30  8:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Hi folks,

I'd like to do some experiments with 9p and write some little
servers and clients for running on Unix systems (ie. GNU/Linux).

There are some packages (ie.u9fs and npfs) but they neither
worked for me, nor did I find any documentaion :(

Any tips ?

thx
	http://patches.metux.de/

* Re: [9fans] writing 9p servers and clients under gnu/linux
@ 2007-03-30 12:07 ` Eric Van Hensbergen
From: Eric Van Hensbergen @ 2007-03-30 12:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: weigelt, Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 3/30/07, Enrico Weigelt <weigelt@metux.de> wrote:
> I'd like to do some experiments with 9p and write some little
> servers and clients for running on Unix systems (ie. GNU/Linux).
>
> There are some packages (ie.u9fs and npfs) but they neither
> worked for me, nor did I find any documentaion :(
>
> Any tips ?

You really want spfs (which is under the npfs directory).  Either
Lucho or I can help you with any problems you are having.  I also have
some half-formed developer works articles on writing file systems with
npfs that I can send you.

           -eric

* Re: [9fans] writing 9p servers and clients under gnu/linux
@ 2007-03-30 12:10   ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2007-03-30 12:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

one can also use p9p.

- erik

@ 2007-03-30 12:41     ` Uriel
From: Uriel @ 2007-03-30 12:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

You can use Inferno too.

For a list of other options see also http://cat-v.org/9p/ spfs is not
there because as far as I know there have been no spfs releases so
far, when lucho releases a tarball (and I hope posts an announcement
to 9p-hackers) I will add it.

Best wishes

uriel

@ 2007-03-30 16:43 ` ron minnich
From: ron minnich @ 2007-03-30 16:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: weigelt, Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

I like spfs. It works fine for me. Get the v9fs tree and look at the
distribution server that ollie and I wrote -- it's a nice, simple
example of a combined client/server and it was quite easy to write.

spfs is so simple and easy to use that a simple server, in my view, is
better than any amount of documentation.

thanks

ron

* Re: [9fans] writing 9p servers and clients under gnu/linux
@ 2007-03-30 16:48   ` Latchesar Ionkov
From: Latchesar Ionkov @ 2007-03-30 16:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

I think you mean xcpu, not v9fs tree :)

	Lucho

@ 2007-03-30 16:50     ` ron minnich
From: ron minnich @ 2007-03-30 16:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 3/30/07, Latchesar Ionkov <lionkov@lanl.gov> wrote:
> I think you mean xcpu, not v9fs tree :)

Right, sorry.

ron

* [9fans] Re: writing 9p servers and clients under gnu/linux
@ 2007-03-30 22:15 ` Darren Bane
From: Darren Bane @ 2007-03-30 22:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Enrico Weigelt <weigelt@metux.de> wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> I'd like to do some experiments with 9p and write some little
> servers and clients for running on Unix systems (ie. GNU/Linux).
>
> There are some packages (ie.u9fs and npfs) but they neither
> worked for me, nor did I find any documentaion :(
>
> Any tips ?

Install plan9port ( http://swtch.com/plan9port/ ).  Read "9 man 3 9p"
for how to write servers.  You don't need to do anything special to
write clients, Linux can mount 9p filesystems and you can just do file
I/O on them.
--
Darren Bane

* Re: [9fans] Re: writing 9p servers and clients under gnu/linux
@ 2007-03-30 22:19   ` ron minnich
From: ron minnich @ 2007-03-30 22:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 3/30/07, Darren Bane <darren.bane@gmail.com> wrote:

> Install plan9port ( http://swtch.com/plan9port/ ).  Read "9 man 3 9p"
> for how to write servers.  You don't need to do anything special to
> write clients, Linux can mount 9p filesystems and you can just do file
> I/O on them.

These libraries are a fine way to go if you want to write servers with
the p9p library that can pretty much also work on Plan 9. We did that
for a while with xcpu, but a number of considerations (performance,
familiarity for people on other projects, bugs, etc.) moved us away
from p9p to Lucho's server libraries. They work very well.

thanks

ron