* [9fans] 2nd International Workshop on Plan 9
@ 2007-08-09 14:15 Sape Mullender
From: Sape Mullender @ 2007-08-09 14:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

We have started preparations to host the Second very International Workshop
on Plan 9 at Bell Labs MH in December of this year, almost certainly
Monday December 3 and Tuesday December 4.

Preparations are still underway, but we hope to post the official
announcement soon.

	Sape

* Re: [9fans] 2nd International Workshop on Plan 9
@ 2007-08-09 14:54 ` Mathieu L.
From: Mathieu L. @ 2007-08-09 14:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

About that, I'm currently working in the computing grid field,
notably the use of grids among the (Earth) science community. I'm
personally convinced that the way to go would be to build on a sane
distributed base, like Plan9 but it's not at all the situation at the
moment.

The biggest structures are based on Linux (clusters or PCs) augmented
with some middleware (such as gLite, or globus). The whole thing seems
quite bloated to me from the beginning and it's getting even more
complicated as the middleware developpers are trying to fit the needs of
the different scientific communities.

Now to my point: I'm slowly trying to hint ppl at Plan9 but it's not
easy since:
-I'm not "big" in the middle
-I don't have (yet) such a strong experience in Plan9 (only played with
it a bit and installed a standalone cpu server)
-there is no (afaik) example yet of a plan9 grid where one can submit
distributed jobs, to convince ppl. Although it seems to me plan9 would
be the best platform for that and hence would require way less work to
obtain some elegant solutions than on any other framwork.

So my question is: do you think that Workshop would be the right
occasion to demonstrate Plan9 to the grid ppl or is it too soon to
convince of its possible advantages as a computing grid platform? Is
it worth trying to get some of these ppl to go there?
Or am I completely mistaken on what this workshop is about?

Any thoughts on this are welcome :)

Cheers,
Mathieu.

--
GPG key on subkeys.pgp.net:

KeyID:	| Fingerprint:
683DE5F3 | 4324 5818 39AA 9545 95C6 09AF B0A4 DFEA 683D E5F3

* Re: [9fans] 2nd International Workshop on Plan 9
@ 2007-08-09 14:59   ` Sape Mullender
From: Sape Mullender @ 2007-08-09 14:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

That might well be the case.  There are projects underway to develop
Plan 9 as a platform for massively parallel computing and I expect
we'll have several talks on the subject at the workshop.

	Sape

@ 2007-08-10 16:36     ` ron minnich
From: ron minnich @ 2007-08-10 16:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

yes, the plan 9 grid is a good idea. We don't have applications. If
you can supply an application, I wonder if we could get people to
supply grid nodes.

ron