* [9fans] booting THNX when you can't boot usb
@ 2007-09-21 13:54 ron minnich
From: ron minnich @ 2007-09-21 13:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

To boot THNX when you can't boot USB.
1. Put the hard drive back in your laptop (sorry!)
1a. start it booting from the hard drive
1b. wait for it too boot.
1c. Hang on
1d. not yet.
1e. almost there
1f. running init scripts
1g. ...
1h. You can get lower interest rates now at ...
1i. OK, log in.
2. mount the usb stick e.g. mount /dev/sdb1 /mnt
3. mkdir /boot/thnx
4. cp /mnt/boot/* /boot/thnx
5. Add the following line to /boot/grub/menu.lst
title           tiny horrible NOT xen -- sdb1
        root            (hd0,0)
        kernel /boot/thnx/vmlinuz-2.6.23-rc5 ro root=LABEL=/THNX rhgb vga=ask \
                                                   reserve_vector=64
init=/bin/bash
        initrd /boot/thnx/initrd-2.6.23-rc5.img

Reboot and select tiny horrible etc. to boot.

ron

* Re: [9fans] booting THNX when you can't boot usb
@ 2007-09-22 23:48 ` john
From: john @ 2007-09-22 23:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

ron minnich <rminnich@gmail.com> wrote:
> To boot THNX when you can't boot USB.
> 1. Put the hard drive back in your laptop (sorry!)
> 1a. start it booting from the hard drive
> 1b. wait for it too boot.
> 1c. Hang on
> 1d. not yet.
> 1e. almost there
> 1f. running init scripts
> 1g. ...
> 1h. You can get lower interest rates now at ...
> 1i. OK, log in.
> 2. mount the usb stick e.g. mount /dev/sdb1 /mnt
> 3. mkdir /boot/thnx
> 4. cp /mnt/boot/* /boot/thnx
> 5. Add the following line to /boot/grub/menu.lst
> title           tiny horrible NOT xen -- sdb1
>         root            (hd0,0)
>         kernel /boot/thnx/vmlinuz-2.6.23-rc5 ro root=LABEL=/THNX rhgb vga=ask \
>                                                    reserve_vector=64
> init=/bin/bash
>         initrd /boot/thnx/initrd-2.6.23-rc5.img
>
> Reboot and select tiny horrible etc. to boot.
>
> ron

So I tried that and was indeed able to boot, but I didn't get any high resolution
video mode options, just stuff like 80x60. Am I doing something wrong, or
is it just my bad luck that my video card isn't supported? I've got a GeForce
FX 5900XT video card.

John Floren

* Re: [9fans] booting THNX when you can't boot usb
@ 2007-09-24  1:48   ` ron minnich
From: ron minnich @ 2007-09-24  1:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

You should get a prompt along the lines of 'hit space for options' or
some such.

Get the video prompt, type 318, and tell me how it goes.

video card support requires VESA mode.

@ 2007-09-24  2:57     ` john
From: john @ 2007-09-24  2:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> You should get a prompt along the lines of 'hit space for options' or
> some such.
>
> Get the video prompt, type 318, and tell me how it goes.
>
> video card support requires VESA mode.
>
> ron

Ah, I see. I didn't have faith; I was expecting to get a big list of all
possible VESA modes. 318 worked okay, but drawterm is less than
pretty--scrolling down a rc window makes a red mess... hard to
describe. Anyway, I'll try to find out what the proper VESA mode is
for my card.
If I want drivers for my 3c595 ethernet card, looks like I'll have
to compile stuff for myself?
Pretty cool setup. Thanks Ron!

John

* Re: [9fans] booting THNX when you can't boot usb
@ 2007-09-24  5:23       ` ron minnich
From: ron minnich @ 2007-09-24  5:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 9/23/07, john@csplan9.rit.edu <john@csplan9.rit.edu> wrote:

> If I want drivers for my 3c595 ethernet card, looks like I'll have
> to compile stuff for myself?

grab the latest. Also I may rebuild the kernel with all network drivers.

> Pretty cool setup. Thanks Ron!

Thanks, corrections/suggestions are always welcome.

ron