From: "ron minnich" <rminnich@gmail.com>
To: "Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs" <9fans@cse.psu.edu>
Subject: Re: [9fans] I appear to have stumped the brains at chacha.com
Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2007 11:16:01 -0700	[thread overview]

You got further than chacha:

many microprocessors are there in the world. Please wait while your
guide searches for your results.
Jacqueline: Welcome to ChaCha!
You: thanks
Jacqueline: Hello! Thank you for coming to ChaCha
Jacqueline: One moment please
You: fyi there is an ad in top right of this web page but in firefox
it is cut off, shows bumper sticker "My town's news is better than
yours", but you can't see the name of the newspaper :-)
You: you might want to let the ad guys know :-)
Jacqueline: sorry?
Jacqueline: Are you trying to find an exact figure?
You: something close. Is it more like 10 billion or 1 billion or
Jacqueline: I am not finding an exact number
You: I am no longer sure.
Jacqueline: I am going to transfer you
Jacqueline: One moment please
You: I think an exact number is totally impossible.
Transfer: You are being transferred to another guide who can help you
search even better!
microprocessors are there in the world. Please wait while your guide
searches for your results.
Cecil: Hello!
Cecil: I'm searching for your results.
You: thanks
You: This is actually a hard one.
You: To get the right number we'd have to count watches, cars,
microwaves, DVD players, ipods, it just goes on forever.
Cecil: Thanks for being patient!
You: I know I can't figure it out :-)
Cecil: Rest assured we will find your results!
Cecil: I will need to transfer you.
You: ok
Cecil: Thank you for using ChaCha!
That past tense on the status line? they dropped me. So much for
guided search. Google might not need to give up just yet.

Anyways, I am gonna guess 1B 32-bit processors in current use, which
is pretty conservative: iPods alone are 110M units. It still makes for
nice graph, starting at 1955 (or so) with 1.

ron