* [9fans] Xen Installation
@ 2008-05-20  2:01 Jonny Morrill
From: Jonny Morrill @ 2008-05-20  2:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hello,

I am completely new to plan9. I heard about it when I took a tour of a
supercomputer cluster that was running a hybrid version of plan9 and linux.
I am very interested in getting a system up and running to try it out. I
have a home suse server running the latest version, 10.3. I would like to
install plan9 as a virtual machine with xen. I ran through the tutorial
located here<http://cm.bell-labs.com/wiki/plan9/installing_in_xen_3.0/index.html>.
However, when i tried to create the Domain i got this error:

coruscant:/usr/xen9 # xm create plan9inst -c
Using config file "/etc/xen/vm/plan9inst".
Error: Invalid event handling mode: shutdown

Here is my xm info output:

coruscant:/usr/xen9 # xm info
host                   : coruscant
release                : 2.6.22.17-0.1-xen
version                : #1 SMP 2008/02/10 20:01:04 UTC
machine                : i686
nr_cpus                : 1
nr_nodes               : 1
sockets_per_node       : 1
cores_per_socket       : 1
threads_per_core       : 1
cpu_mhz                : 448
hw_caps                : 0383f9ff:00000000:00000000:00000040
total_memory           : 191
free_memory            : 10
max_free_memory        : 10
max_para_memory        : 6
max_hvm_memory         : 0
xen_major              : 3
xen_minor              : 1
xen_extra              : .0_15042-51.3
xen_caps               : xen-3.0-x86_32
xen_scheduler          : credit
xen_pagesize           : 4096
platform_params        : virt_start=0xfc000000
xen_changeset          : 15042
cc_compiler            : gcc version 4.2.1 (SUSE Linux)
cc_compile_by          : abuild
cc_compile_domain      : suse.de
cc_compile_date        : Thu Dec 20 19:25:32 UTC 2007
xend_config_format     : 4

Any help or advice will be greatly appreciated!

Jonny

* Re: [9fans] Xen Installation
@ 2008-05-20  3:22 ` ron minnich
From: ron minnich @ 2008-05-20  3:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

here's the best help I can give: don't use xen.

Use qemu, kvm, or lguest, all of which are far easier to set up.

thanks

ron
p.s. I wrote the first Xen port. If Xen had not turned bad, I would
not be giving you this advice.

* Re: [9fans] Xen Installation
@ 2008-05-20  3:56   ` Curt Micol
From: Curt Micol @ 2008-05-20  3:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Mon, May 19, 2008 at 11:22 PM, ron minnich <rminnich@gmail.com> wrote:
> here's the best help I can give: don't use xen.
[snip]
> p.s. I wrote the first Xen port. If Xen had not turned bad, I would
> not be giving you this advice.

Hey ron,

Could you explain what 'turned bad' and why you no longer prefer xen?
This is just for my own curiosity, I'd like to hear your opinion.
I'll also begin looking through the archives to see if I missed
something there.

Thanks,

--
# Curt Micol

* Re: [9fans] Xen Installation
@ 2008-05-20  4:22     ` ron minnich
From: ron minnich @ 2008-05-20  4:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: asenchi, Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Mon, May 19, 2008 at 8:56 PM, Curt Micol <asenchi@gmail.com> wrote:

> Could you explain what 'turned bad' and why you no longer prefer xen?
> This is just for my own curiosity, I'd like to hear your opinion.
> I'll also begin looking through the archives to see if I missed
> something there.

mainly, the over-use of python where C would do, with the concomitant
mess of weird errors and untraceable failures. The xenstore was also a
disaster, a half-way file system that never quite worked to this day.
Add in XML-RPC, in python yet, and you have a gooey stew of obscure
and hard to fix errors.

We did a small distro with xen, and were glad to move to lguest
instead. Much, much easier.

Kind of sad, as I actually really like the Xen guys, but things just
didn't go very well after v2.

ron

* Re: [9fans] Xen Installation
@ 2008-05-20  6:07       ` Stefan Hajnoczi
From: Stefan Hajnoczi @ 2008-05-20  6:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs; +Cc: asenchi

> Error: Invalid event handling mode: shutdown
For the record: Xen has changed the way shutdown/reboot/crash behavior
is specified in the domain config file (several times?).  The quickest
fix is to just delete lines related to shutdown/reboot/crash from
/etc/xen/vm/plan9inst.  If you want control over that behavior, check
the relevant Xen documentation.

Like Ron says, QEMU, kvm, or lguest are better for running Plan 9.

Stefan

* Re: [9fans] Xen Installation
@ 2008-05-21  0:44 Jonny Morrill
From: Jonny Morrill @ 2008-05-21  0:44 UTC (permalink / raw)