* [9fans] Streaming on venti
@ 2008-06-05 11:24 Enrico Weigelt
From: Enrico Weigelt @ 2008-06-05 11:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Hi folks,

is anyone already working on an venti-based storage format
which is optimized for streaming ?

VAC eg. is good for archiving, but it's tree-based structure
is probably not optimal for streaming (on large files, a lot
of blocks IMHO have to be loaded before getting the first
payload block can be reached).

Some kind of linked list, eg. like in CMD-1541 filesystem
(each block as an pointer to the next one) or an linked list
of index blocks would fit better.

cu
	http://patches.metux.de/

* Re: [9fans] Streaming on venti
@ 2008-06-05 12:19 ` ron minnich
From: ron minnich @ 2008-06-05 12:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: weigelt, Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs
  Cc: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Thu, Jun 5, 2008 at 4:24 AM, Enrico Weigelt <weigelt@metux.de> wrote:

> Hi folks,
>

> is anyone already working on an venti-based storage format
> which is optimized for streaming ?

ah, well, what's this mean? What kind of data rate are you looking at?

ron

* Re: [9fans] Streaming on venti
@ 2008-06-05 13:38   ` Enrico Weigelt
From: Enrico Weigelt @ 2008-06-05 13:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

* ron minnich <rminnich@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 5, 2008 at 4:24 AM, Enrico Weigelt <weigelt@metux.de> wrote:
> >
> > Hi folks,
> >

> > is anyone already working on an venti-based storage format
> > which is optimized for streaming ?
> >

> ah, well, what's this mean? What kind of data rate are you looking at?

It's intendet for video streaming. Upload is uncritical, but
sequential download should be fast.

The venti behind will be clustered, but that's another story ...

cu
	http://patches.metux.de/

* Re: [9fans] Streaming on venti
@ 2008-06-05 13:47     ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2008-06-05 13:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: weigelt, 9fans

> It's intendet for video streaming. Upload is uncritical, but
> sequential download should be fast.
>
> The venti behind will be clustered, but that's another story ...

there's no such thing as sequential in venti.  venti is content
addressed.

- erik

* Re: [9fans] Streaming on venti
@ 2008-06-05 14:01 ` Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2008-06-05 14:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: weigelt, 9fans

> VAC eg. is good for archiving, but it's tree-based structure
> is probably not optimal for streaming (on large files, a lot
> of blocks IMHO have to be loaded before getting the first
> payload block can be reached).

A typical venti tree has a branching factor of 409 (8192/20).
For a 1GB file, that means you have to load two extra blocks to find
the first one, and 322 interior blocks to find all 131,072 data blocks.
Is improving that 0.2% really your justification for a less capable
data structure?

> Some kind of linked list, eg. like in CMD-1541 filesystem
> (each block as an pointer to the next one) or an linked list
> of index blocks would fit better.

For a 1GB file, you'd need 20*131,072 = 2,621,440 bytes of
storage to hold the pointers.  No matter where you put them,
your entire file is now (1GB+2,621,440)/8192 = 131,392 blocks.
The tree was using 131,394 blocks.  So at best, the linked list
has reduced the number of block loads by 0.002%, and you've
given up random access, including streaming starting halfway
through a file.  Doesn't sound better to me.

Venti's performance is dominated much more by fragmentation
in where the blocks are laid out in the arena logs (that causes seeks)
than anything in higher level data structures.  There is a paper about
this in the upcoming Usenix.  See http://swtch.com/~rsc/papers/
for a link to PDF and HTML.  (Because the paper is targeted at a
non-Plan 9 audience, "Venti" in that paper refers to venti as described
in the original paper.  The current venti sources implement all the
improvements described as "Foundation" in the paper.)

Russ

* Re: [9fans] Streaming on venti
@ 2008-06-05 14:42   ` Enrico Weigelt
From: Enrico Weigelt @ 2008-06-05 14:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

* Russ Cox <rsc@swtch.com> wrote:
> > VAC eg. is good for archiving, but it's tree-based structure
> > is probably not optimal for streaming (on large files, a lot
> > of blocks IMHO have to be loaded before getting the first
> > payload block can be reached).
>
> A typical venti tree has a branching factor of 409 (8192/20).

I gues, 8k is vac's index block size ?
So, maybe it could even be improved (for my case) by increasing
it to the 56k venti limit ?

> For a 1GB file, that means you have to load two extra blocks to find
> the first one, and 322 interior blocks to find all 131,072 data blocks.
> Is improving that 0.2% really your justification for a less capable
> data structure?

Well, I'll have to think about this. My primary goal is to
make the sequential read as fast as possible. There won't be
any non-sequential access.

> Venti's performance is dominated much more by fragmentation
> in where the blocks are laid out in the arena logs (that causes seeks)
> than anything in higher level data structures.  There is a paper about
> this in the upcoming Usenix.  See http://swtch.com/~rsc/papers/
> for a link to PDF and HTML.  (Because the paper is targeted at a
> non-Plan 9 audience, "Venti" in that paper refers to venti as described
> in the original paper.  The current venti sources implement all the
> improvements described as "Foundation" in the paper.)

thx, I'll have a look at this (as soon as time allows ;-o).

cu

 cellphone: +49 174 7066481   email: info@metux.de   skype: nekrad666

* Re: [9fans] Streaming on venti
@ 2008-06-05 15:40     ` Wilhelm B. Kloke
From: Wilhelm B. Kloke @ 2008-06-05 15:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Enrico Weigelt <weigelt@metux.de> schrieb:

> Well, I'll have to think about this. My primary goal is to
> make the sequential read as fast as possible. There won't be
> any non-sequential access.

IMHO, using venti to serve streams is a bad idea. None of the advantages
of venti do matter in this application. Nowadays disks are so big that
GPT partitions are preferrable to provide disk storage for big streams.

Of course, some support form the OS is needed, which excludes Plan9.
--
Dipl.-Math. Wilhelm Bernhard Kloke
Institut fuer Arbeitsphysiologie an der Universitaet Dortmund

* Re: [9fans] Streaming on venti
@ 2008-06-05 15:57       ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2008-06-05 15:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: wb, 9fans

> Of course, some support form the OS is needed, which excludes Plan9.

what is the basis for this claim?  references?

- erik

* Re: [9fans] Streaming on venti
@ 2008-06-06  8:33         ` Wilhelm B. Kloke
From: Wilhelm B. Kloke @ 2008-06-06  8:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

erik quanstrom <quanstro@coraid.com> schrieb:
>> Of course, some support form the OS is needed, which excludes Plan9.
>
> what is the basis for this claim?  references?
>
> - erik

Does Plan9 support GPT partitions now? The last time I tried Plan9 on a
GPT partitioned disk I got my disk severely screwed up.
--

@ 2008-06-06  8:40           ` Francisco J Ballesteros
From: Francisco J Ballesteros @ 2008-06-06  8:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

a gpt partitioned disk should have its mbr declaring mostly the disk
in use, IIRC, plan 9 fdisk does not screw it up unless you decide
to change the partitions in the mbr.

@ 2008-06-06  9:44             ` Wilhelm B. Kloke
From: Wilhelm B. Kloke @ 2008-06-06  9:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Francisco J Ballesteros <nemo@lsub.org> schrieb:
> a gpt partitioned disk should have its mbr declaring mostly the disk
> in use, IIRC, plan 9 fdisk does not screw it up unless you decide
> to change the partitions in the mbr.

On a GPT partitioned disk the mbr has to be ignored, as there is no way
to make it look the same in every respect.

Plan9 (and other OSs, such as FreeBSD, NetBSD, OS/2, too) has
idiosyncratic ideas conflicting with my own idiosyncratic ideas how
to layout the MBR.  Every time I tried to add a new OS to some
working partition table I got some sort of bad experience, which
ranged from reordering the partion table to confusing sector
addressing styles.

Just not screwing up the partition table is not enough. I want to
access the data partitions outside the plan9 partition either
to store venti arenas on them, so that these are accessible
from other OSs (Plan9 from User Space, e.g.) or to store other
OS-independent file formats like multimedia, or a database.
IIRC this was not there in Plan9 at the time when I tried it.

But let me return to my main point: If you want to store and access
files bigger than the size of a normal venti arena or even a large
part of one, it looks like a bad use of venti to me.
In his paper about Foundation Russ Cox explains some circumstances
where you probably don't want venti to archive these files forever.
For these sort of files the services of other file systems are
overkill, too. You don't want write more than one at the same time mostly.
You don't need the ability to append to the file, once it is closed.
If you have files of several Gigabyte size you
probably want to have them contiguous. You cannot use BSD slices or
BSD partitions or plan9 partitions to store these, because there are too few
of them. The 128 partitions on a GPT are sufficient, because a 500GB
disk can be laid out to use one big chunk to host file systems and
several smaller chunks from 1GB to, say 20GB for multimedia files.
Of course, you need utilities to manage these.

A file system very suitable for this situation was that of DEC's
RT11 (if it were not limited to 16bit block adresses).  On this
system, every file was contiguous, there was a directory, which
looked mostly like a big partition table, because the directory had
only one level. A new file could be allocated either with a fixed
size in the 1st gap to fit, or to fill the biggest gap. The default
was to fill the maximum of the 2nd largest gap and half the largest
gap size.
--

@ 2008-06-06 12:08           ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2008-06-06 12:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> erik quanstrom <quanstro@coraid.com> schrieb:
>>> Of course, some support form the OS is needed, which excludes Plan9.
>>
>> what is the basis for this claim?  references?
>>
>> - erik
>>

> Does Plan9 support GPT partitions now? The last time I tried Plan9 on a
> GPT partitioned disk I got my disk severely screwed up.
> -

plan 9 doesn't support gpt.

however, nemo is correct.  when gpt partitions are
created below the fdisk limit of 2TB, that space
is supposed to be shown in partition table.  (at
www.uefi.org; see §5.2.2 of the uefi specification
2.1 on the "protective" mbr.)

your claim was that plan 9 lacks something to support
streaming.  what does support for gpt partition tables
have to do with this?

- erik

* Re: [9fans] Streaming on venti
@ 2008-06-06 12:59               ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2008-06-06 12:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> In his paper about Foundation Russ Cox explains some circumstances
> where you probably don't want venti to archive these files forever.
> For these sort of files the services of other file systems are
> overkill, too. You don't want write more than one at the same time mostly.
> You don't need the ability to append to the file, once it is closed.
> If you have files of several Gigabyte size you
> probably want to have them contiguous. You cannot use BSD slices or
> BSD partitions or plan9 partitions to store these, because there are too few
> of them. The 128 partitions on a GPT are sufficient, because a 500GB
> disk can be laid out to use one big chunk to host file systems and
> several smaller chunks from 1GB to, say 20GB for multimedia files.
> Of course, you need utilities to manage these.

there are several styles devices with exactly these limitiations: cd, dvd
and bd recorders.

the standard data rate for bd disks is 5.4mb/s (en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blu­ray_Disc).
venti was easily fast enough to handle this, even on a usb drive.

your proposed set of limitations makes no sense to me.  venti
can stream fast enough and the overhead for storing blocks and
not extents is ~1%.

further, foundation is an archival strategy, not primary storage.
pretty impressive to be able to stream movies directly from the backup.

i sure wouldn't give up the ability to store, e.g., an index to which i
append an entry each time i add a movie in my moviefs for 1%
drop in storage efficiency.  since venti goes fast enough, any extra
speed is wasted on streaming.

> A file system very suitable for this situation was that of DEC's
> RT11 (if it were not limited to 16bit block adresses).  On this
> system, every file was contiguous, there was a directory, which
> looked mostly like a big partition table, because the directory had
> only one level. A new file could be allocated either with a fixed
> size in the 1st gap to fit, or to fill the biggest gap. The default
> was to fill the maximum of the 2nd largest gap and half the largest
> gap size.

1968 called.  it wants its fs technology back.

if you must have extents, there are much better (if more complicated)
fses that support extents.  for example.  xfs.

i'm not convinced the extra complexity of managing arbitrarly-sized
blocks is worth it.

- erik

* Re: [9fans] Streaming on venti
@ 2008-06-06 13:16             ` Wilhelm B. Kloke
From: Wilhelm B. Kloke @ 2008-06-06 13:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

erik quanstrom <quanstro@quanstro.net> schrieb:

>>> what is the basis for this claim?  references?

> plan 9 doesn't support gpt.

This was my claim. Nothing else. You did cut off some significant part of my original message.

> however, nemo is correct.  when gpt partitions are
> created below the fdisk limit of 2TB, that space
> is supposed to be shown in partition table.  (at
> www.uefi.org; see §5.2.2 of the uefi specification
> 2.1 on the "protective" mbr.)

Yes. A protective mbr is in the specification. Protective means: Not to be
used for fiddling.

> your claim was that plan 9 lacks something to support
> streaming.  what does support for gpt partition tables
> have to do with this?

Let me restate my claim:
- Using venti for backing up a streaming application is not a good idea.
- Contiguous storage areas may be better.
- One potential method to provide access to contiguous disk space may be a rich partitioning
  system, e.g. GPT.
- Plan9 does not support the last idea.
--

@ 2008-06-06 14:06               ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2008-06-06 14:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Yes. A protective mbr is in the specification. Protective means: Not to be
> used for fiddling.

the spec says that the protective mbr should include entries reserving
the space used by gpt partitions.  thus if you use fdisk to edit such
a partition table, you will not harm gpt unless you delete the gpt
entries.

they are quite clear that this is for compatability.

if you can cite chapter and verse showing that this is incorrect,
i'm all ears.

> - One potential method to provide access to contiguous disk space may be a rich partitioning
>   system, e.g. GPT.
> - Plan9 does not support the last idea.

the plan 9 kernel doesn't read partition tables.  this is done by
external programs.  e.g. disk/fdisk and disk/prep and 9load.  devsd allows
partition tables to be written to /dev/sdXX/ctl.  devsd partitions
are dynamicly allocated.  there is no limit to how many you can have

without inventing a new format, disk/prep uses just a single
sector.  so it supports about 16 partitions.  however, you can
repartition each prep partition.  so with 2 levels on a drive with
standard-sized sectors, you can have 239 partitions.

nonetheless, using partitions as a fs is a terrible idea.

- erik

* Re: [9fans] Streaming on venti
@ 2008-06-06 15:53               ` Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2008-06-06 15:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

>  - Using venti for backing up a streaming application is not a good idea.
>  - Contiguous storage areas may be better.

So far I agree with you.

>  - One potential method to provide access to contiguous
> disk space may be a rich partitioning system, e.g. GPT.

I can't believe what a terrible idea this is.  I honestly thought
that PC architecture couldn't get any worse; congratulations.
We were running out of 1-byte partition types so now we're
going to use random 16-byte identifiers that no one can
remember or even read?

>  - Plan9 does not support the last idea.

No, Plan 9 transcends the idea.

As Erik pointed out, Plan 9 couldn't care less what bizarro world
your disks come from.  To keep architecture-specific disk format goo
from infecting the kernel, the disk device presents a very simple
interface that can be used to implement any partitioning scheme
you care to invent, even ones as disgusting as GPT.
You write a simple user-level program that opens the raw disk
device, reads the partition table, and then creates the partitions
by writing commands like

  part linux 63 11425234

to the disk's ctl file.  A GPT implementation would be only a few
hundred lines confined to a single user-space program, if anyone
cared to write it.

Russ

* Re: [9fans] Streaming on venti
@ 2008-06-07  1:23     ` ron minnich
From: ron minnich @ 2008-06-07  1:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: weigelt, Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Thu, Jun 5, 2008 at 7:42 AM, Enrico Weigelt <weigelt@metux.de> wrote:
> * Russ Cox <rsc@swtch.com> wrote:
>> > VAC eg. is good for archiving, but it's tree-based structure
>> > is probably not optimal for streaming (on large files, a lot
>> > of blocks IMHO have to be loaded before getting the first
>> > payload block can be reached).
>>
>> A typical venti tree has a branching factor of 409 (8192/20).
>
> I gues, 8k is vac's index block size ?
> So, maybe it could even be improved (for my case) by increasing
> it to the 56k venti limit ?

As Russ makes pretty clear, this stuff all involves numbers that can
be reasoned about. Storage companies do such reasoning as their daily
bread.

So, rather than say stuff like "as fast as possible" (which is without
meaning) why not attach some numbers to this kind of speculation?

ron

* Re: [9fans] Streaming on venti
@ 2008-06-09  8:51                 ` Wilhelm B. Kloke
From: Wilhelm B. Kloke @ 2008-06-09  8:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On 2008-06-06, Russ Cox <rsc@swtch.com> wrote:
>>  - Using venti for backing up a streaming application is not a good idea.
>>  - Contiguous storage areas may be better.
>
> So far I agree with you.

> to the disk's ctl file.  A GPT implementation would be only a few
> hundred lines confined to a single user-space program, if anyone
> cared to write it.

I don't care, too. The only, but in my eyes and for my personal use
significant, difference it makes, is that these partitions are
uniformly accessible from different OSs. Of course, only from those,
which see GPT partitions. I agree that the idea of evolving MBR to
GPT was terrible. But it is there, as there are different OSs and
different opinions, sometimes in the same computer system or human head.
--

@ 2008-06-10  1:56                 ` ron minnich
From: ron minnich @ 2008-06-10  1:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Fri, Jun 6, 2008 at 8:53 AM, Russ Cox <rsc@swtch.com> wrote:

>>  - One potential method to provide access to contiguous
>> disk space may be a rich partitioning system, e.g. GPT.
>
> I can't believe what a terrible idea this is.  I honestly thought
> that PC architecture couldn't get any worse; congratulations.

It's part of the EFI promise: everything they touch will turn to merde :-)

ron

* Re: [9fans] Streaming on venti
@ 2008-06-10  2:38                   ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2008-06-10  2:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> It's part of the EFI promise: everything they touch will turn to merde :-)

optimist!

- erik