* [9fans] pnp factotum from linux to plan 9: site-specific password failures.
@ 2008-05-27 15:06 ron minnich
From: ron minnich @ 2008-05-27 15:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

I can't get into bell-labs.com if p9p factotum is running. Kill
factotum, I can get in. On the failure case, I get the continually
repeated password prompt. I have this problem with some, but not all,
cpu servers.

Kill p9p factotum, all is well.

What's a sensible way to debug this?

thanks

ron

* Re: [9fans] pnp factotum from linux to plan 9: site-specific password failures.
@ 2008-05-27 15:14 ` Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2008-05-27 15:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> I can't get into bell-labs.com if p9p factotum is running. Kill
> factotum, I can get in. On the failure case, I get the continually
> repeated password prompt. I have this problem with some, but not all,
> cpu servers.
>
> Kill p9p factotum, all is well.

If instead of killing p9p factotum, you run

	echo delkey | 9p write factotum/ctl

does that clear up the problem? I wonder if perhaps
factotum has a bad key and is not overriding it when
you type the correct password.

> What's a sensible way to debug this?

After a few iterations of the repeated password prompt,
it would be nice to know what

	9p read factotum/ctl

prints, specifically whether there are multiple keys for
the auth domain that you are trying to get into.

Russ

* Re: [9fans] pnp factotum from linux to plan 9: site-specific password failures.
@ 2008-05-27 15:38   ` ron minnich
From: ron minnich @ 2008-05-27 15:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Tue, May 27, 2008 at 8:14 AM, Russ Cox <rsc@swtch.com> wrote:
>> I can't get into bell-labs.com if p9p factotum is running. Kill
>> factotum, I can get in. On the failure case, I get the continually
>> repeated password prompt. I have this problem with some, but not all,
>> cpu servers.
>>
>> Kill p9p factotum, all is well.
>
> If instead of killing p9p factotum, you run
>
>        echo delkey | 9p write factotum/ctl

[rminnich@xcpu ~]$ echo delkey | 9p write factotum/ctl
[rminnich@xcpu ~]$ echo delkey | 9p write factotum/ctl
9p: write error: found no keys to delete

run and get same problem.

> After a few iterations of the repeated password prompt,
> it would be nice to know what
>
>        9p read factotum/ctl

[rminnich@xcpu ~]$  9p read factotum/ctl
key dom=cs.bell-labs.com proto=p9sk1 role=client user=rminnich !password?
[rminnich@xcpu ~]$

so there's something in there, but not repeated.

@ 2008-05-28 14:37     ` Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2008-05-28 14:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> run and get same problem.

Factotum provides a log file that was intended to be
a list of interesting events.  While the log file was
implemented, nothing was being logged to it.

I have added log statements tracing the important
events in factotum and p9sk1 in particular.

cd $PLAN9/src/cmd/auth/factotum
cvs up	# or hg pull -u
mk install

Then restart your factotum, and run drawterm and
"9p read factotum/log" in separate windows.
You'll have to interrupt "9p read" when you're done,
since it blocks waiting for more log messages.

Russ

* Re: [9fans] pnp factotum from linux to plan 9: site-specific password failures.
@ 2008-06-04 17:14       ` ron minnich
From: ron minnich @ 2008-06-04 17:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

[rminnich@xcpu ~]$ 9p read factotum/log
keyfetch role=client proto=p9sk1 dom=ca.sandia.gov user? !password?
convneedkey role=client proto=p9sk1 dom=ca.sandia.gov user? !password?
addkey proto=p9sk1 role=client dom=ca.sandia.gov user=rminnich !password?
adding key: proto=p9sk1 role=client dom=ca.sandia.gov user=rminnich !password?
convneedkey returning
keyfetch proto=p9sk1 user? dom=ca.sandia.gov
using key dom=ca.sandia.gov proto=p9sk1 role=client user=rminnich !password?
p9skclient: gettickets: Connection timed out

I am assuming our cpu server is misconfigured somehow?

Kill factotum, it all works.

@ 2008-06-04 17:33         ` Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2008-06-04 17:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> p9skclient: gettickets: Connection timed out

Aha!  Factotum uses ndb (the library, not the program)
to map from auth domain to auth server.  If it can't find
a mapping, it tries to use the auth domain as a machine
name directly.  Unless your auth server's machine name
is ca.sandia.gov, you need to edit $PLAN9/ndb/local to
add an entry:

	authdom=ca.sandia.gov
		auth=your-auth-server.sandia.gov

There are examples in that file already.

Too many examples.

Sadly, it appears that my own local changes (entries
for cs.bell-labs.com and pdos.csail.mit.edu, and a
reference to a non-existant file=cox-home) leaked
into the distribution.  I've removed them (no real harm
done), but perhaps the entry for cs.bell-labs.com was
no longer correct, which would explain your other problem.

Russ

* Re: [9fans] pnp factotum from linux to plan 9: site-specific password failures.
@ 2008-06-16 15:50           ` ron minnich
From: ron minnich @ 2008-06-16 15:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Wed, Jun 4, 2008 at 10:33 AM, Russ Cox <rsc@swtch.com> wrote:
>> p9skclient: gettickets: Connection timed out
>
> Aha!  Factotum uses ndb (the library, not the program)
> to map from auth domain to auth server.  If it can't find
> a mapping, it tries to use the auth domain as a machine
> name directly.  Unless your auth server's machine name
> is ca.sandia.gov, you need to edit $PLAN9/ndb/local to
> add an entry:
>
>        authdom=ca.sandia.gov
>                auth=your-auth-server.sandia.gov
>
> There are examples in that file already.
>
> Too many examples.

Thanks russ, this did the fix!

authdom=sandia.gov
        auth=192.168.18.13