* [9fans] 9vx problem with venti
@ 2008-06-30 17:03 ron minnich
From: ron minnich @ 2008-06-30 17:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

on .10, I can run venti/venti. on .11, it locks up 9vx quite
thoroughly after it prints init.... If you resize the window it is
filled with garbage. Under strace I can see it taking the timer
interrupts.

Linux xcpu 2.6.25 #6 SMP Tue May 27 09:46:16 PDT 2008 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux

Sorry I don't have much more. I'm still looking around.

also, on .10, when I am doing a venti/copy, at some point vx dies with
a sigsev on cpux, where x is 5 or 7 or 9 so far.

ron

* Re: [9fans] 9vx problem with venti
@ 2008-06-30 17:33 ` Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2008-06-30 17:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> on .10, I can run venti/venti. on .11, it locks up 9vx quite
> thoroughly after it prints init.... If you resize the window it is
> filled with garbage. Under strace I can see it taking the timer
> interrupts.
>
> Linux xcpu 2.6.25 #6 SMP Tue May 27 09:46:16 PDT 2008 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux
>
> Sorry I don't have much more. I'm still looking around.
>

> also, on .10, when I am doing a venti/copy, at some point vx dies with
> a sigsev on cpux, where x is 5 or 7 or 9 so far.

If you invoke it with the -A flag, then it will go into a
sleep loop on panic (-A stands for abort, but that didn't
work very well on OS X).  You can then attach with gdb
and get a stack trace or look at what the other threads
are doing.

The cpu numbers don't really mean anything except
for whether they're 0 (runs user code) or non-zero
(runs kprocs).

Russ

* Re: [9fans] 9vx problem with venti
@ 2008-06-30 17:54   ` ron minnich
From: ron minnich @ 2008-06-30 17:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Mon, Jun 30, 2008 at 10:33 AM, Russ Cox <rsc@swtch.com> wrote:

> If you invoke it with the -A flag, then it will go into a
> sleep loop on panic (-A stands for abort, but that didn't
> work very well on OS X).  You can then attach with gdb
> and get a stack trace or look at what the other threads
> are doing.

in the case of .11 it never really dies -- just hangs ... sufficient
input will finally kill the X11 thread.

@ 2008-06-30 21:05     ` ron minnich
From: ron minnich @ 2008-06-30 21:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

I just pulled the hg and built 9vx from sources.

venti copy has not died yet. :-)

ron