* [9fans] generous scholarship for grad students from DOE.
@ 2009-11-06  3:09 ron minnich
From: ron minnich @ 2009-11-06  3:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Just a reminder: http://www2.krellinst.org/ssgf/

(yes, "Krell" from the movie. The guy who started this likes the movie).

"The Department of Energy National Nuclear Security Administration
Stewardship Science Graduate Fellowship (SSGF) Program provides
outstanding benefits and opportunities to students pursuing a Ph.D. in
areas of interest to stewardship science, such as high-energy density
physics, low-energy nuclear science, or properties of materials under
extreme conditions.  Fellows also participate in research at a DOE
laboratory. "

"    The fellowship start date is September 1, 2010. It is renewable
for up to 4 total years."

    *  All tuition and required fees will be paid during the appointment period.

    * A yearly stipend of $32,400.

    * A $1,000 allowance is paid annually to the fellow to be used for
duplication expenses, conferences, copies of conference proceedings,
travel, or other expenses incurred while doing research or activities
directly related to the professional development of the fellow.

It's a great deal if you are interested in the areas, note that it can
be a pure computer science style research deal. One thing that might
work: you could work on scaling a new type of simulation on a 40,000
CPU supercomputer, using Plan 9, and if you have an adviser who agrees
with that you might get support from this program.

Also, don't know if this is still part of it, but in the early years
they'd give you about 5K to get a laptop to support your work.

Thanks

ron

* [9fans] physics, my httpd  Re:  generous scholarship for grad students from DOE.
@ 2009-11-06 12:40 ` Sam Watkins
From: Sam Watkins @ 2009-11-06 12:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Thu, Nov 05, 2009 at 07:09:16PM -0800, ron minnich wrote:
> It's a great deal if you are interested in the areas, note that it can
> be a pure computer science style research deal. One thing that might
> work: you could work on scaling a new type of simulation on a 40,000
> CPU supercomputer, using Plan 9, and if you have an adviser who agrees
> with that you might get support from this program.

Sounds like a reference to a previous topic!
I would be interested in doing research like that, but I'm not at university
so it would have to be an "unaffiliated phd" :)

Are you into physics?  you might possibly be interested in a little paper I
wrote about determining the shape of a spinning planet.  I need to find someone
smart enough to debug it for me.  I can't see what's wrong with it but there is
some diversion from observed reality in the results.

  http://sam.nipl.net/planet.html

If the method I am using is right, it might be useful for many things.  I have
searched a little online, and haven't seen my method used for determining the
shape of a planet before, so perhaps it is novel (although I doubt it).

In other news, and I doubt this would be exciting for plan 9 users, I hacked my
webserver "tachyon" that I am writing (running on my linux server) so it can
access the contents of .zip archives etc using a virtual filesystem.  It's
working pretty nicely.  It also added a feature for find-like recursive
listings on request.  Tachyon's main feature compared to say apache is that it
automatically uses unix permissions and groups for authentication.  Say you try
to access a restricted page over http, it redirects to the same page on https
and requests authentication.  I find this useful.  Not sure if existing plan 9
webserver/s do that sort of thing?  tachyon is very fast and scalable, it's
written using micro-coroutines which switch nearly as fast as a function call.

Sam