From: Sauparna <sauparna.palc@gmail.com>
To: 9fans@9fans.net
Subject: Re: [9fans] Unable to boot from CD
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2012 09:59:01 +0000	[thread overview]

I tried several things, and help, again, is appreciated.

@Thiery: I could key in characters at the 'boot from' prompt, put didn't try anything then. I have an MBR and not GPT, it's a dual-booted system with Ubuntu having been installed second, after Windows. I used to boot through GRUB, as is the standard setup.

@eirk: 9atom worked. The live-boot option didn't but the installation proceeded till [mountdist] where I was unable to point the installer to the distribution archive. I aborted and rebooted at this point, and ended up losing GRUB and the Linux boot partition (I have backed up, so no worries).

@cinap: 9front booted properly.

So, I am wondering why 9atom would write to the MBR then, isn't that option asked for after [mountdist]? I was careful enough to specify the correct partition at [partdisk]. There was a default layout suggested, which I manually modified to take up 3GB only. Other than that, I made no changes. Booting into my system with a live rescue disk (Ubuntu Rescue Remix), I can 'fdisk -l' the partition table, everything shows up, but I can't mount the ubuntu boot partition. Other NTFS and ext3 partitions are fine, can be mounted and navigated.

Secondly, what do I do at [mountdist] to correctly specify a dist archive?