So just take it to its logical connclusion and make it a pull protocol. You get a note with a URL and grab it at your leasure. This is exactly what MMS (cell phones that send/rcv pictures) do for reception. The message is kept on a server that other phones can pick it up from. The notification is sent to the phone via a short message. Only if sent as email is it wrapped up as a MIME email containing SMIL instructions, html text, and jpg pictures. We could do the same for email, sending a pick up URL, and some 'secret' for decoding the message or logging on or whatever. If you broadcast (like mailing lists) only the notification goes out. AOL/Yahoo/etc mail relays turn into web repositories. Your mailbox server can still yank some stuff automagicly if you like the identity of the sender. Use TLS on all connections, if the web can do it, so can email. Slowing things down isn't that bad. It changes the nature of spam somewhat, i.e., it would become a short message containing nothing but a URL and a subject. Oops, that's what most of my spam already is but at least it means they can't fire and forget, they have to leave servers up. And we're now reduced to a previously unsolved problem with the same solutions. If we're unwilling to accept any solution that identifies the sender more than trusting the From: we're still stuck with our Bayesian filters etc. If we're willing to put up with some caller id, then we have to live with a public key infrastructure, SPF, or something similar. I personally like public keys, just not the infrastructure. If someone has introduced themselves to me once and left a public key, that's good enough for me.