* [9fans] venti problem
@ 2010-01-29 18:52 hugo rivera
From: hugo rivera @ 2010-01-29 18:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Hi,
I am trying to set up a venti server but I can't. I am using p9p on
linux, downloaded around January 21.
I followed all the steps described on venti(8), a number of times
starting from scratch, but I always get

vtversion /dev/fd/8: vtversion: bad format in version string
vtversion /dev/fd/7: vtversion: bad format in version string
vtversion /dev/fd/8: vtversion: bad format in version string
vtversion /dev/fd/8: vtversion: bad format in version string
vtversion /dev/fd/7: vtversion: bad format in version string
vtversion /dev/fd/7: vtversion: bad format in version string
vtversion /dev/fd/7: vtversion: bad format in version string
vtversion /dev/fd/7: vtversion: bad format in version string
vtversion /dev/fd/7: vtversion: bad format in version string
vtversion /dev/fd/7: vtversion: bad format in version string

while querying the venti web server. Before this,

>: venti/fmtbloom /my/partition
warning: size not a power of 2; only using 128MB
fmtbloom: using 128MB, 32 hashes/score, best up to 23,860,929 blocks

is the only step that produces a warning.
Maybe I'm doing something wrong somewhere, but I obviously don't
realize. Last time I had to set up a venti server (~1 year) things
went OK, and I am doing more or less the same as I did back then, as
far as I remember.
Here's my venti.conf

index main
isect /dev/ventihd3
arenas /dev/ventihd2
bloom /dev/ventihd4
mem 43M
bcmem 85M
icmem 128M

and my partitions are

   Name           Flags         Part Type    FS Type
[Label]           Size (MB)
    ventihd2                      Primary     Plan 9
              237990.26
    ventihd3                      Primary     Plan 9
               11901.99
    ventihd4                      Primary     Plan 9
                 131.61

according to cfdisk.
Saludos,

--
Hugo

* Re: [9fans] venti problem
@ 2010-01-29 20:03 ` maht
From: maht @ 2010-01-29 20:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Hi Hugo,

I did this only yesterday and am working on a backup script to go from
SMB share on Debian -> cifs on plan9 running in Qemu on XP -> venti
running on Debian (the process works, just I haven't made a script yet).

http://maht0x0r.blogspot.com/2010/01/venti-on-linux-via-p9p.html

and when I'd finished mycrotiv told me he already had a script for it

http://sphericalharmony.com/plan9/makeventi

* Re: [9fans] venti problem
@ 2010-02-01 13:09   ` hugo rivera
From: hugo rivera @ 2010-02-01 13:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Thanks for the links, now everything is working (apparently), but I
have no idea what was the source of my error(s).