From: "Brian L. Stuart" <blstuart@bellsouth.net>
To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs <9fans@9fans.net>
Subject: Re: [9fans] Plan9 Sources Repository
Date: Sat, 19 Jul 2014 16:19:47 -0700	[thread overview]

 >       - having an SSH2 server (there is one in 9atom, but I didn't
 > see it in the stock Plan9).

Geoff included the same ssh implementation as 9atom
has in /sys/src/cmd/ssh2 but with some code clean-up.
So the server code is there.  I've been meaning to go
back an reconcile the two different versions, including
some bug fixes in the 9atom version, but my supply of
round tuits is small.

> Are you sure it doesn't have the Heartbleed?

For a number of reasons, yes, I am.   The Plan 9 ssh v2
implementation is completely new and doesn't share any
code with either OpenSSH or OpenSSL.  That decision
was made for a lot of reasons, one of which was to make
the system less susceptible to the script kiddies.  While
I certainly don't have the hubris to suggest it is without
flaws, I'm pretty sure its flaws are different than those
of the mainstream implementations.  So one is unlikely
to get very far using a mainstream exploit.

Having said all that, I would not recommend running an
SSH server on Plan 9, unless you have a really compelling
reason.  With all due respect to those who developed
the protocol, its authentication model is not, in my opinion,
as solid as that of Plan 9.  If you want to remotely "log into"
a Plan 9 system from a foreign system, use drawterm, or
cpu from a virtualized Plan 9 terminal.

BLS