From: EBo <ebo@sandien.com>
To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs <9fans@9fans.net>
Subject: Re: [9fans] Plan 9 doesn't boot on a (fairly new) computer
Date: Sat, 17 Jul 2010 17:08:56 -0600	[thread overview]

On Sat, 17 Jul 2010 13:00:32 -0700, Akshat Kumar
<akumar@mail.nanosouffle.net> wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 23, 2009 at 1:27 PM, Jorden Mauro <jrm8005@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Here's the hardware:
>>
>> AMD Athlon II X2 245 (64-bit dual core)
>> Gigabyte GA-MA785GM-US2H motherboard
>> One 1.5Tb SATA hard drive, old IDE cdrom
>
> Is there any 64-bit supported Plan 9 kernel?

from what I understand no (and I am sure others will correct me if I am
wrong).  What I can say definitively is that Plan 9 will run on a 64-bit
machine when compiled in 32-bit mode.  My primary machine has a AMD Phenom
II X4.  It is one of those cheap Gateway machines, which unfortunately do
not give you lots of details of what is under the hood (and I might not
have bought it for that if I had fully know up front).  So the good news is
that you can probably get it to work.  The best place to start looking it
look at Erik's 9atom boot disk and you might have to play around with the
SATA/IDE settings (which on my bios caused lots of problems).  The should
be a hundred or so posts in the archives dealing with 64-bit machines and
booting with 9atom.

  Hope that helps.

  EBo --