From: sqweek <sqweek@gmail.com>
To: "Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs" <9fans@cse.psu.edu>
Subject: Re: [9fans] ~Off Topic: disk layout
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2007 03:17:53 +0900	[thread overview]

 I'm not really sure about original motivations, to be honest.
Personally, I have a seperate partition for /boot to make sure the
kernel stays beneath cylinder 1024 (when I started using linux this
was a common BIOS/bootloader limitation, so /boot became something of
a habit).
 Having /home on a seperate partition is comforting, at the very least
- in a worst case scenario where I totally fuck up my system I can
just wipe the /boot /usr /var / /tmp partitions and not worry about
losing anything important.
 /usr /var and /tmp are kind of an extension of the partitioning
scheme, and in retrospect pretty much useless. It just forces me to
use a bit of discipline about how much crap I keep around (I've run
out of space on /var a couple of times).

PS. If you're going to top post while quoting a bottom posted reply
can you at least snip the irrelevant junk?