From: sqweek <sqweek@gmail.com>
To: "Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs" <9fans@cse.psu.edu>
Subject: Re: [9fans] Storing bookmarks+history w/ 9P
Date: Mon,  3 Dec 2007 17:08:10 +0900	[thread overview]

On Nov 30, 2007 1:56 PM, Enrico Weigelt <weigelt@metux.de> wrote:
> I already wrote some ideas for storing browser bookmarks and
> history via an synthetic filesystem some time ago.
>
> Here's a little wiki page about this:
>
> http://oss-qm.metux.de/index.php/9forge/bookmarkfs

 Hm. My knowledge of 9P is worse than I would like, so I don't have a
good idea of what makes sense to implement. Nor do I have a lot of
experience with synthetic file servers to know what works and what
doesn't. But, I suspect you're focusing a bit too much on existing
interface, rather than simplicity and the "right" approach.
 Putting a .bookmark extension on every file seems excessive for an fs
that essentially only contains directories and bookmarks. Also, the
actual filename doesn't appear to be used for anything - so judging by
Mozilla's past, if such an interface is adopted by Gecko you'll get
B84E21AC.bookmark, A8BF4371.bookmark, etc etc.
 What if the filename corresponded to the bookmark name, and do you
really need a description field? If you dropped it, you'd have
filename <=> bookmark name, mtime <=> last visited, file contents <=>
url. It maps better to history entries also, which certainly don't
have descriptions. /history/by-proto-date-hostname/date essentially
corresponds to an "ls -rt /history",
/history/by-proto-date-hostname/hostname is just "cat /history/*
|sort". Though considering how many entries you'll have, I wonder if a
file per history entry is even a sensible approach here. A flat file
with two columns(DATE HOSTNAME) does pretty much the same job with
less overhead/clutter...
-sqweek