* [9fans] p9p upas
@ 2008-01-17  8:58 sqweek
From: sqweek @ 2008-01-17  8:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Howdy,
 I've been trying to get upas going over imaps here at work. Finally
today I noticed src/cmd/upas/nfs and inferred the n is for "new" so
had a play. The source served as documentation but I didn't manage to
get very far before some program called "stunnel" started whinging at
me.
 OK, so it turns out stunnel is an SSL wrapper thingy. Fair enough.
After a bit of investigation I discovered why it was complaining -
upas/nfs was written for stunnel3, and then they went and completely
ballsed up the interface for stunnel4[1]. Seriously, what the fuck
were they thinking... anyway, after a failed attempt at writing a
wrapper for stunnel3 style arguments in stunnel4 I went to look for an
stunnel3 package and ran across a perl wrapper[2].
 The wrapper works, though of course I had to modify upas/nfs/imap.c
to exec it instead of /usr/sbin/stunnel directly. Now I'm off to play
with acme Mail, but I figure this information will be useful to anyone
else trying to get setup.
-sqweek

[1] http://www.freebsddiary.org/stunnel-v3-to-v4.php
[2] http://mirror.hudecof.net/stunnel/obsolete/stunnel3/stunnel3-1.0

* Re: [9fans] p9p upas
@ 2008-01-17 19:05 ` Lou Kamenov
From: Lou Kamenov @ 2008-01-17 19:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Jan 17, 2008 8:58 AM, sqweek <sqweek@gmail.com> wrote:
> Howdy,
>  I've been trying to get upas going over imaps here at work. Finally
> today I noticed src/cmd/upas/nfs and inferred the n is for "new" so
> had a play. The source served as documentation but I didn't manage to
> get very far before some program called "stunnel" started whinging at
> me.
>  OK, so it turns out stunnel is an SSL wrapper thingy. Fair enough.
> After a bit of investigation I discovered why it was complaining -
> upas/nfs was written for stunnel3, and then they went and completely
> ballsed up the interface for stunnel4[1]. Seriously, what the fuck
> were they thinking... anyway, after a failed attempt at writing a
> wrapper for stunnel3 style arguments in stunnel4 I went to look for an
> stunnel3 package and ran across a perl wrapper[2].
>  The wrapper works, though of course I had to modify upas/nfs/imap.c
> to exec it instead of /usr/sbin/stunnel directly. Now I'm off to play
> with acme Mail, but I figure this information will be useful to anyone
> else trying to get setup.

I used a mix of two programs from ucspi-tcp (mconnect-io) and
ucspi-ssl (sslclient).
Though, you need to edit the mconnect-io source and strip the crlf it
tries to send.
This setup works pretty well on FreeBSD.

 > if(threadspawnl(fd, "/usr/local/bin/sslclient", "sslclient",
"-RHl0", "-X", server, "993", "/usr/local/bin/mconnect-ionocrlf", nil)
< 0){

cheers,