* [9fans] Plan 9 on Fit-PC
@ 2008-02-25 15:37 sqweek
From: sqweek @ 2008-02-25 15:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

 I ordered a fit-pc recently to replace my old noisy server, and
figured I should do the right thing and give plan9 a chance before
installing netbsd or somethnig.
 It has proven a bit awkward to bootstrap with no IDE/floppy slots to
plug in to, but eventually I worked out if you plug a usb cd drive in
and tell the BIOS there's an IDE Primary slave and to boot from
"CDROM" it actually boots from the usb...
 So I stuck the PLAN 9 - FEB 8 2008 04:01 iso in, and it gets this far:

PBS1...Plan 9 from Bell Labs
ELCR: 0E20

 And freezes.

 I also tried to netboot from my existing cpu/auth/file server. The
netboot ROM on the ethernet downloads the kernel but couldn't seem to
find a spot in memory to put it[1], so I grabbed gPXE 0.9.3 from
http://www.etherboot.org/ and built an ISO. The last thing I see there
is "Booting from /386/9pc..." and then the machine reboots. I'm not
sure if this is even getting the whole kernel... last line in
/sys/log/ipboot is:

phoenix Feb 26 00:24:43 send file '/386/9pc' octet to 192.168.1.11!1024

 THNX might be another option for bootstrap, or at least useful for
getting the plan 9 bootloader on the MBR - I have it on a usb stick
and got it running with a bit of messing around.
 Finally, the thing has a serial port, but I don't know how to use those things.

 Does it sound like this hardware is likely to run plan 9?

-sqweek

[1] segment [009DC00,009DE00) does not fit in any memory region