* [9fans] GSOC: Gitfs
@ 2009-03-26 13:30 Mukhitdinov Manzur
From: Mukhitdinov Manzur @ 2009-03-26 13:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hello!

    I'm a cs student from Saint-Petersburg,Russia(sea-gull on #plan9-soc).
I'm interested in your project of implementing Git file system
for Plan9.
    Implementing Gitfs when we have Hgfs[1] and hgc may seem odd to
somebody,
especially when Git doesn't have apparent advantages over mercury.
But there are some benefits to community: as I'm new to Plan9/Inferno
the more difficult task I get, the more and deeper I'll learn Plan9. And
that means,
the better and longer I can help to the community
But I'll benefit no less than you: I'll learn miraculous Plan9,
get friends and spend my time to something useful

I've some other ideas:
- Something like Boost library for Limbo
- Dis decompiler

Comments are appreciated!

Thanks, Manzur

* Re: [9fans] GSOC: Gitfs
@ 2009-03-26 20:57 ` Enrico Weigelt
From: Enrico Weigelt @ 2009-03-26 20:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

* Mukhitdinov Manzur <manzur1986@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi,

> I'm interested in your project of implementing Git file system
> for Plan9.

Great thing!
I'd be your first user :)

cu

 cellphone: +49 174 7066481   email: info@metux.de   skype: nekrad666

* Re: [9fans] GSOC: Gitfs
@ 2009-03-26 21:10 ` J.R. Mauro
From: J.R. Mauro @ 2009-03-26 21:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Thu, Mar 26, 2009 at 9:30 AM, Mukhitdinov Manzur
<manzur1986@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello!
>
>     I'm a cs student from Saint-Petersburg,Russia(sea-gull on #plan9-soc).
> I'm interested in your project of implementing Git file system
> for Plan9.
>     Implementing Gitfs when we have Hgfs[1] and hgc may seem odd to
> somebody,
> especially when Git doesn't have apparent advantages over mercury.
> But there are some benefits to community: as I'm new to Plan9/Inferno
> the more difficult task I get, the more and deeper I'll learn Plan9. And
> that means,
> the better and longer I can help to the community
> But I'll benefit no less than you: I'll learn miraculous Plan9,
> get friends and spend my time to something useful

If I remember correctly, someone made a FUSE filesystem that worked
with a git checkout. Its implementation may perhaps be helpful in
writing a 9P filesystem.

> I've some other ideas:
> - Something like Boost library for Limbo
> - Dis decompiler
>
> Comments are appreciated!
>
> Thanks, Manzur

* Re: [9fans] GSOC: Gitfs
@ 2009-03-26 21:18   ` Roman Shaposhnik
From: Roman Shaposhnik @ 2009-03-26 21:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs; +Cc: manzur1986

On Mar 26, 2009, at 2:10 PM, J.R. Mauro wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 26, 2009 at 9:30 AM, Mukhitdinov Manzur
> <manzur1986@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hello!
>>
>>     I'm a cs student from Saint-Petersburg,Russia(sea-gull on
>> #plan9-soc).
>> I'm interested in your project of implementing Git file system
>> for Plan9.
>>     Implementing Gitfs when we have Hgfs[1] and hgc may seem odd to
>> somebody,
>> especially when Git doesn't have apparent advantages over mercury.
>> But there are some benefits to community: as I'm new to Plan9/Inferno
>> the more difficult task I get, the more and deeper I'll learn
>> Plan9. And
>> that means,
>> the better and longer I can help to the community
>> But I'll benefit no less than you: I'll learn miraculous Plan9,
>> get friends and spend my time to something useful

Somehow I didn't see the original email from Manzur (was it ever
posted to the list?) But given my personal interests, I'd be delighted
to help along with the gitfs.

Since I've ignored most of the GSOC traffic so far, could someone,
please point me to the right URLs so that I can see what's required
of mentors and whether I'd be a good match for that.

Thanks,
Roman.

P.S. besides, there's always a benefit of communicating in Russian
or getting together for a few beers in SPB ;-)

* Re: [9fans] GSOC: Gitfs
@ 2009-03-26 21:23     ` Devon H. O'Dell
From: Devon H. O'Dell @ 2009-03-26 21:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

2009/3/26 Roman Shaposhnik <rvs@sun.com>:
> Somehow I didn't see the original email from Manzur (was it ever
> posted to the list?) But given my personal interests, I'd be delighted
> to help along with the gitfs.

Yeah, it was.

> Since I've ignored most of the GSOC traffic so far, could someone,
> please point me to the right URLs so that I can see what's required
> of mentors and whether I'd be a good match for that.

The GSoC traffic is misdirected. The GSoC emails *SHOULD* be going to
the plan9-gsoc list, which is hosted by Google.

As far as becoming a mentor, create a google account, and go to
http://socghop.appspot.com/org/apply_mentor/google/gsoc2009

Anthony Sorace is the administrator for the project this year and he
will have to approve your mentor application.

> Thanks,
> Roman.

Hope that helps!

--dho

@ 2009-03-26 21:54       ` Federico G. Benavento
From: Federico G. Benavento @ 2009-03-26 21:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

you could also use uriel's port of git to Plan 9, I think

--
Federico G. Benavento

* Re: [9fans] GSOC: Gitfs
@ 2009-03-26 22:18       ` yy
From: yy @ 2009-03-26 22:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

2009/3/26 Devon H. O'Dell <devon.odell@gmail.com>:
> The GSoC traffic is misdirected. The GSoC emails *SHOULD* be going to
> the plan9-gsoc list, which is hosted by Google.

I hope the plan9-gsoc list gets more attention. I sent my project
ideas there a week ago and you were the only person who replied my
message. Maybe that's why people is directing their emails to 9fans.

Since I would really like to hear some comments before writting my
application, I will explain here what I have in mind (there's also
some alternative ideas in my original message:
http://groups.google.com/group/plan9-gsoc/browse_frm/thread/52d77f27a3f5645b):
1. Cleaning up drawterm and 9vx draw devices in unix (I don't have a
windows or macos dev environment, or any experience FWIW). I have seen
several small TODOs in the code, and in particular all the Xlib code
should be isolated. I don't know if a complete merge would be
possible, or if p9p could be included in the group.
2. As suggested in drawterm TODO, replace the console with 9term (in 9vx too).
3. Write a wctl device which speaks directly with Xlib, this way rio
wouldn't have to (but could) be used in 9vx/drawterm, and windows
could be managed with the X wm.
4. I have seen the A-term proposition in gsoc.cat-v.org and I could do
it. I'm quite familiar with acme code and in fact is something I had
in mind (to be used with the wctl described above).
I don't think any of these projects is enough for gsoc, but more than
one of the ideas could be combined. I'd like to know your opinions
about what could/should be done.

Regards,

--
- yiyus || JGL .

* Re: [9fans] GSOC: Gitfs
@ 2009-04-02 12:35         ` Eric Van Hensbergen
From: Eric Van Hensbergen @ 2009-04-02 12:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Thu, Mar 26, 2009 at 4:54 PM, Federico G. Benavento
<benavento@gmail.com> wrote:
> you could also use uriel's port of git to Plan 9, I think

Googling fails me, where?

     -eric

* Re: [9fans] GSOC: Gitfs
@ 2009-04-02 12:42           ` sqweek
From: sqweek @ 2009-04-02 12:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

2009/4/2 Eric Van Hensbergen <ericvh@gmail.com>:
> On Thu, Mar 26, 2009 at 4:54 PM, Federico G. Benavento
> <benavento@gmail.com> wrote:
>> you could also use uriel's port of git to Plan 9, I think
>
> Googling fails me, where?

 I remember he started the port but I'm not sure he got it functional.
I presume it is /n/sources/contrib/uriel/git9.tgz , whatever state it
is in.
-sqweek