From: sirjofri <sirjofri+ml-9fans@sirjofri.de>
To: 9fans <9fans@9fans.net>
Subject: Re: [9fans] troff refer and bib
Date: Fri, 9 Apr 2021 16:04:29 +0000 (UTC)	[thread overview]

09.04.2021 16:39:53 Charles Forsyth <charles.forsyth@gmail.com>:
> I still use it. I think it differs in many ways from the original
> version (the Caldera licence was to allow the 7th Edition code to be
> used in 2002).

Nice to read from you!

I personally found the code hard to read, but I feel it's just normal for
the complexity of the task. Managing references is harder than it may
sound, I'm sure.

I used your refer version for my two last theses in university, I just
wished it had a native solution for double references. I needed the
reference as footnotes in the text, as well as at the very end of the
thesis under a bibliography/literature section. Refer can do both, but
not simultaneously. I built a rc script around this which calls refer
twice and merges the results, which is a very hacky solution... but it
worked.

I like how refer embeds nicely into Plan 9 (with calls like refer/refer).

(This reminds me, I should finish my wwb port, but that's offtopic.)

Thanks for porting refer. Again, I wish we had some easier way to manage
contrib packages, e.g. by having repositories and just clone and mk them.
I never know which package is still supported and supposed to work and
which ones are legacy and don't work.

sirjofri