* Réf. : [9fans] Auth & cron
@ 2000-07-18 14:42 boyd.roberts
From: boyd.roberts @ 2000-07-18 14:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

but how do you auth the user?  there is no setuid.  you prove
who you are to the auth server by typing a password that is kept
locally and used to authenticate yourself.  maybe things have changed
a bit since the 1st release, but my guess is that the auth design is
more or less the same.

so you gotta enter some data to auth yourself.  this data must _never_
cross the wire.  so if you say server x is my preferred cron server,
just how is server x's cron going to get the auth data to allow the
cron to 'run as you'?  'running as you' is not a matter of uid's, it's
a matter of proving that you are you with the auth data you've been given.

wholesale shipping around private keys from auth to 'trusted' cpu
servers to allow impersonation is just an accident waiting to happen.
you bust the cpu server, you bust the auth server.  and all that
stuff is flying around on the wire.  no, no and no.

god, we may as well go back to rsh/rlogin -- yes, that hideous mess.

 (Embedded
 image moved   "Fco. J. Ballesteros" <nemo@gsyc.escet.urjc.es>
 to file:      18/07/2000 16:34
 pic32656.pcx)

Veuillez répondre à 9fans@cse.psu.edu

Pour: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
cc:    (ccc: Boyd ROBERTS/EST/DOSI/BANQUE_INDOSUEZ/FR)
Objet:    [9fans] Auth & cron

Regarding the discussion before about auth & cron,
what about using a cpu server with a cron process running per user w/
cron entries?

What's wrong w/ this approach?

Perhaps I'm missing something.

--
    ()    ascii ribbon campaign - against html mail
    /\                          - against microsoft attachments

[-- Attachment #3: pic32656.pcx --]

* Réf. : [9fans] Auth & cron
@ 2000-07-18 16:07 ` Fco. J. Ballesteros
From: Fco. J. Ballesteros @ 2000-07-18 16:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

    boyd> but how do you auth the user?  there is no setuid.  you

Just like you are doing it now to run processes on the cpu server.
But you'll keep your `cron' process running forever.

The only bad point I see is that a cpu server reboot will drop your
cron entries.

    boyd> so you gotta enter some data to auth yourself.  this data
    boyd> must _never_ cross the wire.  so if you say server x is my
    boyd> preferred cron server, just how is server x's cron going to
    boyd> get the auth data to allow the cron to 'run as you'?

How are you doing that to run your process on your cpu sever?  IMHO it
can be done the same way. But, as I said, I may be missing something.