From: Carsten Kunze <carsten.kunze@arcor.de>
To: 9fans@9fans.net
Subject: [9fans] Many bugs in eqn(1)
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2014 17:41:43 +0200	[thread overview]

Hello,

I'm somewhat disappointed about the troff software in Plan9.

I did few initial tests with eqn(1) and in addition to the TAB problem I saw that the root sign line and large brackets are not aligned. The attached file shows these problems. It can be processed to PostScript with

eqn eqn.tr | troff | tr2post | psfonts > eqn.ps

(Actually on UNIX using plan9port.)

Does nobody use troff on Plan9? eqn(1) is maybe from around 1990, why had these bugs not been fixed?

Also the font for e.g. "pi" is not as expected (like from DWB or Solaris or groff).

Why does Plan9 troff uses other fonts than UNIX troff does?

--Carsten