From: Christian Walther <cptsalek@gmail.com>
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Subject: Re: [9fans] How to change UserID/Group to edit files in /lib/ndb?
Date: Mon,  8 Aug 2005 15:33:33 +0200	[thread overview]

Hi Fans,

thank you for all your answers. I did as Russ suggested and now
everything works fine. My next task will be to go through all the
documents found in the wiki, but I have to admit that this is a rather
painfull task for a newbie. I'm to Unix and as such I'm used to read
manpages and other sources of information. But it's sometimes
difficult to locate the piece of information needed to perform a
certain task, especially if one doesn't know how to perform a certain
task.
I read some of the papers found on Plan 9s website, but it's just
theory as long as one doesn't really work with/on a system.

Because of this, my idea would be to extend the information in the
Wiki to some sort of "First steps with Plan 9" document. This is not
only about basic information but about "best practices", too. There
are several ways of performing a certain task most of the time, but it
needs some experience to figure out which way is the best. When this
experience is provided by long term Plan 9 users, this can give
newbies an impression how to work with it.

Please don't get me wrong: I'm not asking for a step by step manual
describing to me everything I need to know (something like "Plan 9 for
dummies"), I don't bother reading manpages and manuals, it was just an
idea of how to improve things. (Somehow I feel I'm missing the point,
but I hope you'll understand what I mean anyway.)
I would be happy to help here, but before I need to get more into Plan
9. I'm keeping track of my progress and problems on my weblog:
http://cptsalek.de

Bye,
Christian