* [9fans] Questions linux terminals connected to plan9 cpu/auth/file server
@ 2006-03-30  3:00 Fernan Bolando
From: Fernan Bolando @ 2006-03-30  3:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi

Another question here from a confused linux user.

I mainly connect to my cpu server by using my linux box with drawterm.
I am wondering if installing plan9port and making use of
v9fs will further allow me to take advantage of my plan9 servers?

Does any of this tools(drawterm, plan9port and v9fs) overlap in there
functions in
some way? How do you guys take advantage of this tools?

or am I the only one using linux to connect to plan9?

thanks
,Fernan

--
Public PGP/GnuPG key (http://www.fernski.com)
pub 1024D/3576CA71 2006-02-02 Fernan Bolando

* Re: [9fans] Questions linux terminals connected to plan9 cpu/auth/file server
@ 2006-03-30  3:15 ` Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2006-03-30  3:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: fernanbolando, 9fans

> or am I the only one using linux to connect to plan9?

I use drawterm every day.  It works very well.

The p9p tools are more about working well
without Plan 9 than about working well with it.

Russ

* Re: [9fans] Questions linux terminals connected to plan9 cpu/auth/file server
@ 2006-03-30  3:41   ` andrey mirtchovski
From: andrey mirtchovski @ 2006-03-30  3:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

what russ said (i also use drawterm daily), but i want to add that the
p9p tools are also useful when programming Plan 9-style applications
(specifically file servers accessible over 9p) that you want to use on
other operating systems. right now i'm doing all my programming in
plan9port, with only occasional jump back to native Plan 9 to make
sure the code is portable. i write the code in acme on OSX, debug on
Linux, run on Plan 9.