From: "andrey mirtchovski" <mirtchovski@gmail.com>
To: "Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs" <9fans@cse.psu.edu>
Subject: Re: [9fans] really basic (stupid) questions, re: beginning sys admin.
Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2006 12:26:23 -0600	[thread overview]

> Q1) how to "logout" of the fossil+venti console? In my experience, open
> console access to servers is bad (insecure).  Even though it is stated
> numerous places that there is no "root" account.  Apparently physical
> access to the console IS "root"?

physical access to any machine makes it insecure. in plan9 whoever
boots the machine owns it. you may "lock" the console through various
means such as starting up aux/vga and running any program that uses
'draw' (stats for example): it can't be interrupted, but can be
rebooted.

> Q2) It is stated that you can't run both an authentication server and a
> file server on the same node

this is not true. you are free to run any combination of
factotum/venti/keyfs/whatever on a single machine.

> Q3) I have made a new user, how would I set this new user's (and
> glenda's) password?  Again on the standalone cdrom installed system.

normally via 'auth/changeuser' if you have auth/keyfs running.

> Q5) rebooting seems to be the main method to re-configure the system or
> ones access rights.  In Un*x logging in/out and using su and
> kill/restart allowed one to choose the role and modify the system
> configuration without rebooting (I have a system running with uptime
> over 3 years). Is rebooting the method for performing these tasks?  This
> seems rather draconian (imo).

norhing but the file server has state in Plan 9 and fossil/venti do
not require a reboot for reconfiguration (except to ensure that the
machine will come up correctly after, say, a power outage). everything
else can be kill-ed/restarted to your heart's desire. since there's no
logout a terminal must be rebooted for changes to your profile to take
effect in all namespaces.