* [9fans] Plan 9 videos
@ 2007-03-19 14:52 john
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: john @ 2007-03-19 14:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Well, I made a quick video of Plan 9 in action last week,
thought I'd share it.
The video (at http://digi.nuwen.net/Plan9.mpeg) shows
some really basic things you can do with Plan 9; I'd like
to make a more in-depth one, perhaps with voiceover
or captions. I've attached a file with some of the things
I'd like to include in said video; suggestions would be
welcome.

John

[-- Attachment #2: p9video.txt --]
[-- Type: text/plain, Size: 561 bytes --]

-Open a rio window, ls, pwd, who
-Start a nested rio in the new window, sweep some windows, then delete the nested window
-Start acme, stats, faces -i
-Show acme mail (attachments)
-Plumb mail faces -> acme mail
-acme wiki
-Open two windows, mount sources in one--demonstrate private namespaces
-Traceroute to rit.edu in one window
-Import mordor's /net, traceroute to rit.edu again
-'history' on a file (show archiving abilities. /n/dump?)
-Open abaco, show frame-based browsing.
-Plumbing header files
-acme right-click search
-man pages

* Re: [9fans] Plan 9 videos
@ 2007-03-19 15:21 ` Kris Maglione
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Kris Maglione @ 2007-03-19 15:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Mon, Mar 19, 2007 at 10:52:36AM -0400, john@csplan9.rit.edu wrote:
>-Plumbing header files

I think that it would also be nice to show some of the more practical
applications of plumbing in acme while programming. Perhaps a separate
acme video would be best. Ideally, things like running mk, and plumbing
the error messages, running acid, and plumbing the stack frames, running
g, and plumbing the likes. You get the idea. I know that it's all the
same basic idea, but you really don't realize just how useful the
feature is until you've used it for such things.

If there were a separate acme video, there are many other features that
deserve the same attention.

--
Kris Maglione

When you need to knock on wood is when you realize the
world's composed of aluminum and vinyl.

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 194 bytes --]

* Re: [9fans] Plan 9 videos
@ 2007-03-19 15:31   ` Uriel
From: Uriel @ 2007-03-19 15:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> If there were a separate acme video, there are many other features that
> deserve the same attention.

A video equivalent for acme of the help paper[1]would be nice.

uriel

[1] http://www.fywss.com/plan9/plan9man/12help.ps.gz

* Re: [9fans] Plan 9 videos
@ 2007-03-19 15:37 ` John Norton
From: John Norton @ 2007-03-19 15:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Mo, 19 M?r 2007, john@csplan9.rit.edu wrote:

> Well, I made a quick video of Plan 9 in action last week,
> thought I'd share it.
> The video (at http://digi.nuwen.net/Plan9.mpeg) shows
> some really basic things you can do with Plan 9; I'd like
> to make a more in-depth one, perhaps with voiceover
> or captions. I've attached a file with some of the things
> I'd like to include in said video; suggestions would be
> welcome.
>

> John

> -Open a rio window, ls, pwd, who
> -Start a nested rio in the new window, sweep some windows, then delete the nested window
> -Start acme, stats, faces -i
> -Show acme mail (attachments)
> -Plumb mail faces -> acme mail
> -acme wiki
> -Open two windows, mount sources in one--demonstrate private namespaces
> -Traceroute to rit.edu in one window
> -Import mordor's /net, traceroute to rit.edu again
> -'history' on a file (show archiving abilities. /n/dump?)
> -Open abaco, show frame-based browsing.
> -Plumbing header files
> -acme right-click search
> -man pages

Is it just me or is that video kinda fast?  Or maybe it was just that I
am a new user (new to plan9 and this list), and I just got lost.  Really
cool though, especially since most everything plan9 is still amazing to
me as it is still new to me.  Thanks for the cool video.

Jack

* Re: [9fans] Plan 9 videos
@ 2007-03-19 15:52 ` Victor Nazarov
From: Victor Nazarov @ 2007-03-19 15:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

john@csplan9.rit.edu wrote:

>Well, I made a quick video of Plan 9 in action last week,
>thought I'd share it.
>The video (at http://digi.nuwen.net/Plan9.mpeg) shows

Doesn't play on my Windows... It Seems this is an avi, not mpeg-stream,
but players don't know how to play it.
--
Victor

* Re: [9fans] Plan 9 videos
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2007-03-19 15:53 ` andrey mirtchovski
From: andrey mirtchovski @ 2007-03-19 15:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 3/19/07, john@csplan9.rit.edu <john@csplan9.rit.edu> wrote:

> Well, I made a quick video of Plan 9 in action last week,
> thought I'd share it.

it's nice to see that my face is immortalized in this video. :)

* Re: [9fans] Plan 9 videos
@ 2007-03-19 15:54   ` john
From: john @ 2007-03-19 15:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: johnn, 9fans

> On Mo, 19 M?r 2007, john@csplan9.rit.edu wrote:
> Is it just me or is that video kinda fast?  Or maybe it was just that I
> am a new user (new to plan9 and this list), and I just got lost.  Really
> cool though, especially since most everything plan9 is still amazing to
> me as it is still new to me.  Thanks for the cool video.
>
> Jack

Yeah, I apologize for the apparent speed of the video. The screen capture
software I was using has some problems; I was actually deliberately moving
much slower so that things would look almost normal when the program
was done. I think the problem is that it misses stuff.

John

* Re: [9fans] Plan 9 videos
@ 2007-03-19 16:38     ` andrey mirtchovski
From: andrey mirtchovski @ 2007-03-19 16:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

I have reencoded the video so that it is viewable in QuickTime (at
least on my macs). in the process I slowed it down to half-speed so
the actual clicks of the mouse are visible. fetch the videos from here
and check whether they work on your plan9-substitute os :) the author
is still John so ask him whether you want them rehosted.

high quality mjpeg video (130 megs):
http://9grid.net/andrey/screenshots/p9.avi

lesser quality wmv (although the file extension doesn't reflect that, 7mb):
http://9grid.net/andrey/screenshots/p9-wmv.avi