* [9fans] This is classic.
@ 2008-12-17 22:28 ron minnich
From: ron minnich @ 2008-12-17 22:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

For no reason that I can see I am now getting this message via a dialogue box:
Packagekit Error
Failed to reset get-updates

Then a little box I can tick for more data.

Here's where it really gets good:
A security policy in place prevents this sender from sending this
message to this recipient, see message bus configuration file
(rejected message had interface
"org.freedesktop.PackageKit.Transaction" member "Cancel" error name
"(unset)" destination "org.freedesktop.PackageKit")

Neat. Lots of this. So. just WTF could this all mean? It means dbus hell.

It's amazing to think of the amount of labor that could produce
something like this. And people claim Plan 9 is obscure?

ron

* Re: [9fans] This is classic.
@ 2008-12-17 22:32 ` Uriel
From: Uriel @ 2008-12-17 22:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

D-bus, a disgrace that should never have even been invented, if 9P on
linux had not been dead-on-arrival.

uriel

On Wed, Dec 17, 2008 at 11:28 PM, ron minnich <rminnich@gmail.com> wrote:
> For no reason that I can see I am now getting this message via a dialogue box:
> Packagekit Error
> Failed to reset get-updates
>
> Then a little box I can tick for more data.
>
> Here's where it really gets good:
> A security policy in place prevents this sender from sending this
> message to this recipient, see message bus configuration file
> (rejected message had interface
> "org.freedesktop.PackageKit.Transaction" member "Cancel" error name
> "(unset)" destination "org.freedesktop.PackageKit")
>
> Neat. Lots of this. So. just WTF could this all mean? It means dbus hell.
>
> It's amazing to think of the amount of labor that could produce
> something like this. And people claim Plan 9 is obscure?
>
> ron

* Re: [9fans] This is classic.
@ 2008-12-17 22:39   ` andrey mirtchovski
From: andrey mirtchovski @ 2008-12-17 22:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> D-bus, a disgrace that should never have even been invented, if 9P on
> linux had not been dead-on-arrival.

"if you want Plan 9 you know where to find it" I heard them say.

* Re: [9fans] This is classic.
@ 2008-12-17 22:45     ` Uriel
From: Uriel @ 2008-12-17 22:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Wed, Dec 17, 2008 at 11:39 PM, andrey mirtchovski
<mirtchovski@gmail.com> wrote:
>> D-bus, a disgrace that should never have even been invented, if 9P on
>> linux had not been dead-on-arrival.
>
> "if you want Plan 9 you know where to find it" I heard them say.

If that is what they said, that displays their usual ignorance of Plan
9 and how its development 'works'.

uriel

* Re: [9fans] This is classic.
@ 2008-12-17 22:46 ` Rodolfo kix Garcia