* [9fans] So quiet!
@ 2009-10-23  2:35 Michaelian Ennis
From: Michaelian Ennis @ 2009-10-23  2:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

;)

Ian

* Re: [9fans] So quiet!
@ 2009-10-23  2:52 ` Eric Van Hensbergen
From: Eric Van Hensbergen @ 2009-10-23  2:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Everyone is busy drinking and debating protocol semantics.  I think
we've managed to empty the coraid fridge of beer.

Sent from my iPhone

On Oct 22, 2009, at 10:35 PM, Michaelian Ennis <michaelian.ennis@gmail.com
 > wrote:

> ;)
>
> Ian

* Re: [9fans] So quiet!
@ 2009-10-23  2:53 ` andrey mirtchovski
From: andrey mirtchovski @ 2009-10-23  2:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

alright then, here's something for the fortune cookie, heard in a
recent (non-IWP9) conference:

"Our interoperability software supports all grid-enabled clusters, as
long as they implement the Basic Application Services standard."

also:

"BAS* Services  are managed by Service Provider Management Services..."

leading one to conclude:

"In the cloud architecture it's Services all the way down"

* BAS: Basic Application Services

* Re: [9fans] So quiet!
@ 2009-10-23 17:29   ` Roman Shaposhnik
From: Roman Shaposhnik @ 2009-10-23 17:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

I'm so envious :-(

Sent from the hotel in China :-)

On Fri, Oct 23, 2009 at 10:52 AM, Eric Van Hensbergen <ericvh@gmail.com> wrote:
> Everyone is busy drinking and debating protocol semantics.  I think we've
> managed to empty the coraid fridge of beer.
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> On Oct 22, 2009, at 10:35 PM, Michaelian Ennis <michaelian.ennis@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> ;)
>>
>> Ian

* Re: [9fans] So quiet!
@ 2009-10-26 10:33                     ` Iruata Souza
From: Iruata Souza @ 2009-10-26 10:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Sun, Oct 25, 2009 at 7:49 PM, Steve Simon <steve@quintile.net> wrote:
>> I thought it was just wonderful, and noticed similar reactions from
>> everyone else. It was a very fine meeting.
>
> Makes me even more sick I was unable to come.
>
> could somone post a quick summary of the plan9 extra-cirricular
> activities, e.g. was sheeva plug port was completed successfully?

i started writing a new pbs with cinap which uses the BIOS to read
data and protected mode to move it.
thank you so much cinap, gorka, and everyone who criticized.

iru

* Re: [9fans] So quiet!
@ 2009-10-26  5:12                       ` ron minnich
From: ron minnich @ 2009-10-26  5:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

to use 9vx as a file server for sheeva plug,
cd /rc/bin/service
mv !tcp564 tcp564

and start listen -q tcp.

Works!

ron

* Re: [9fans] So quiet!
@ 2009-10-26  1:19                     ` Gorka Guardiola
From: Gorka Guardiola @ 2009-10-26  1:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Sun, Oct 25, 2009 at 11:49 PM, Steve Simon <steve@quintile.net> wrote:
>> I thought it was just wonderful, and noticed similar reactions from
>> everyone else. It was a very fine meeting.

Yes, I had a lot of fun too!!.

> could somone post a quick summary of the plan9 extra-cirricular
> activities, e.g. was sheeva plug port was completed successfully?

Well, the sheeva plug port was already there (Geoff finished it...).
We did manage to boot it using 9vx as a fileserver and did
the same for the gumstix (vertex pro).

As I said, a lot of fun...
--
- curiosity sKilled the cat

* Re: [9fans] So quiet!
@ 2009-10-25 21:49                   ` Steve Simon
From: Steve Simon @ 2009-10-25 21:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> I thought it was just wonderful, and noticed similar reactions from
> everyone else. It was a very fine meeting.

Makes me even more sick I was unable to come.

could somone post a quick summary of the plan9 extra-cirricular
activities, e.g. was sheeva plug port was completed successfully?

-Steve

* Re: [9fans] So quiet!
@ 2009-10-25 18:19                   ` Francisco J Ballesteros
From: Francisco J Ballesteros @ 2009-10-25 18:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

it was just great.
thank u all.
I'll order a sheevaplug. it's so fast :)

On Sunday, October 25, 2009, ron minnich <rminnich@gmail.com> wrote:
> I thought it was just wonderful, and noticed similar reactions from
> everyone else. It was a very fine meeting.
>
> And the hack sessions in the evening were extremely useful!
>
> ron

* Re: [9fans] So quiet!
@ 2009-10-25 17:53                 ` ron minnich
From: ron minnich @ 2009-10-25 17:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

@ 2009-10-24 20:21               ` Iruata Souza
From: Iruata Souza @ 2009-10-24 20:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Sat, Oct 24, 2009 at 1:32 PM, roger peppe <rogpeppe@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2009/10/23 W B Hacker <wbh@conducive.org>:
>> We can't 'ave two 9'ers actually *agree* on sumat!
>
> i found it interesting that face to face there seemed to
> be much more agreement than disagreement.
> very constructive.

i second that. we could even write code together.

> i've had a brilliant time.

did your bike like it too? :]

iru

* Re: [9fans] So quiet!
@ 2009-10-24 18:37               ` W B Hacker
From: W B Hacker @ 2009-10-24 18:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

roger peppe wrote:
> 2009/10/23 W B Hacker <wbh@conducive.org>:
>> We can't 'ave two 9'ers actually *agree* on sumat!
>
> i found it interesting that face to face there seemed to
> be much more agreement than disagreement.
> very constructive.
>
> i've had a brilliant time.

ACK. Good to hear!

Human nature to get petty, pedantic or pissy on email - usually (not always!)
without intending to do so. Humans are 'hard-wired' for face-to-face and
observing visual clues as well as audible.

Researching near-miss mid-air collisions in clear weather, the FAA a few years
ago discovered that when speaking, even on the radio, a pilot's eyes snap from
scanning the sky with focus at 'infinity' (anything over ~35 feet for our short
baseline binocular vision) to ...FOUR feet.

Just about where another person would be when talking 'live'. Not to mention a
'puter screen. Check it against the audience, whiteboard or theatre screen
dropping out of focus when you start to speak..

Fortunately, it can be trained around.

Bill

* Re: [9fans] So quiet!
@ 2009-10-24 17:32             ` roger peppe
From: roger peppe @ 2009-10-24 17:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

@ 2009-10-24  1:48           ` W B Hacker
From: W B Hacker @ 2009-10-24  1:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

David Leimbach wrote:
> That basically encompasses what I meant by "punkrock" :-).

Hang on, mate!

We can't 'ave two 9'ers actually *agree* on sumat!

disturbs the karma an' short-circuits the exploration of alternatives..

;-)

Bill

> On Fri, Oct 23, 2009 at 3:31 PM, <dave.l@mac.com> wrote:
>
>> I would suggest that we're the most eclectic.
>>
>> Try having a conversation with a bunch of 9fans that doesn't encompass
>> several millennia of culture, technology etc.
>>
>> Also I'm fairly certain that a disproportionately large number of 9fans
>> aren't CS grads.
>> As with Un*x, it's the people who recognise the power and simplicity who
>> are the fans,
>> not the academic dogmatists and fashionistas.

>> On 23 Oct 2009, at 15:06, David Leimbach wrote:
>>
>>  on the contrary...  I have always equated the plan 9 crowd as the

* Re: [9fans] So quiet!
@ 2009-10-23 22:41         ` David Leimbach
From: David Leimbach @ 2009-10-23 22:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

That basically encompasses what I meant by "punkrock" :-).

On Fri, Oct 23, 2009 at 3:31 PM, <dave.l@mac.com> wrote:

> I would suggest that we're the most eclectic.
>
> Try having a conversation with a bunch of 9fans that doesn't encompass
> several millennia of culture, technology etc.
>
> Also I'm fairly certain that a disproportionately large number of 9fans
> aren't CS grads.
> As with Un*x, it's the people who recognise the power and simplicity who
> are the fans,
> not the academic dogmatists and fashionistas.

> On 23 Oct 2009, at 15:06, David Leimbach wrote:
>
>  on the contrary...  I have always equated the plan 9 crowd as the
>> "most punkrock" of the alternative OS crowd.

>>> Tsk, Tsk,
>>>
>>> ..and here some of us thought that Plan9 team were all pointy-haired
>>> ivory-tower
>>>  types who drank only white wine...
>>>
>>> ;-)
>>>
>>> ..ducks and waddles offstage...
>>>

>>> Bill

* Re: [9fans] So quiet!
@ 2009-10-23 22:31       ` dave.l
From: dave.l @ 2009-10-23 22:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

I would suggest that we're the most eclectic.

Try having a conversation with a bunch of 9fans that doesn't encompass
several millennia of culture, technology etc.

Also I'm fairly certain that a disproportionately large number of
9fans aren't CS grads.
As with Un*x, it's the people who recognise the power and simplicity
who are the fans,
not the academic dogmatists and fashionistas.

On 23 Oct 2009, at 15:06, David Leimbach wrote:

> on the contrary...  I have always equated the plan 9 crowd as the
> "most punkrock" of the alternative OS crowd.
>

> On 10/23/09, W B Hacker <wbh@conducive.org> wrote:
>> erik quanstrom wrote:
>>>
>>> skip, sorry about that.  we drank all your beer.
>>>
>>> - erik
>>>

>> Tsk, Tsk,
>>
>> ..and here some of us thought that Plan9 team were all pointy-haired
>> ivory-tower
>>  types who drank only white wine...
>>
>> ;-)
>>
>> ..ducks and waddles offstage...
>>

>> Bill

* Re: [9fans] So quiet!
@ 2009-10-23 22:03         ` Brian L. Stuart
From: Brian L. Stuart @ 2009-10-23 22:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> > on the contrary...  I have always equated the
> plan 9 crowd as the
> > "most punkrock" of the alternative OS crowd.

Yar dude!  You should have seen the totally bitchin'
mosh pit at today's sessions.  It was EXTREME!  Man,
3 dudes had to be taking to the hospital.  But it's
all good.  Two of them survived...

Rock on!
BLS

* Re: [9fans] So quiet!
@ 2009-10-23 20:50     ` Michaelian Ennis
From: Michaelian Ennis @ 2009-10-23 20:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Fri, Oct 23, 2009 at 11:02 AM, Skip Tavakkolian <9nut@9netics.com> wrote:
>> skip, sorry about that.  we drank all your beer.
>>
>> - erik
>
> fantastic!

Thanks for the beer Skip!

* Re: [9fans] So quiet!
@ 2009-10-23 15:08     ` Brantley Coile
From: Brantley Coile @ 2009-10-23 15:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs; +Cc: 9fans

You even bought Oberon beer. It was good!

iPhone email

On Oct 23, 2009, at 11:02 AM, Skip Tavakkolian <9nut@9netics.com> wrote:

>> skip, sorry about that.  we drank all your beer.
>>
>> - erik
>
> fantastic!

* Re: [9fans] So quiet!
@ 2009-10-23 15:02   ` Skip Tavakkolian
From: Skip Tavakkolian @ 2009-10-23 15:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> skip, sorry about that.  we drank all your beer.
>
> - erik

fantastic!

* Re: [9fans] So quiet!
@ 2009-10-23 15:00       ` W B Hacker
From: W B Hacker @ 2009-10-23 15:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

David Leimbach wrote:
> on the contrary...  I have always equated the plan 9 crowd as the
> "most punkrock" of the alternative OS crowd.
>

> On 10/23/09, W B Hacker <wbh@conducive.org> wrote:
>> erik quanstrom wrote:
>>> skip, sorry about that.  we drank all your beer.
>>>
>>> - erik
>>>

>> Tsk, Tsk,
>>
>> ..and here some of us thought that Plan9 team were all pointy-haired
>> ivory-tower
>>   types who drank only white wine...
>>
>> ;-)
>>
>> ..ducks and waddles offstage...
>>

>> Bill

'most punkrock'?  NFW!

The very endurance of Acme/Rio vs psuedo-3D and weird cube-rotation, bouncing
3-D'ish icons, warping and  'Genie' effects, tells me that by and large
Plan9'ers can still read. Moreover, probably would rather read a dead-tree book
than watch what passes for cinema these days - all gasoline bombs and
special-effects - whether on big screen or desktop.

A 'Game-Boy' or XBox crowd it ain't...

Bill

* Re: [9fans] So quiet!
@ 2009-10-23 14:06     ` David Leimbach
From: David Leimbach @ 2009-10-23 14:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

on the contrary...  I have always equated the plan 9 crowd as the
"most punkrock" of the alternative OS crowd.

On 10/23/09, W B Hacker <wbh@conducive.org> wrote:
> erik quanstrom wrote:
>> On Thu Oct 22 22:54:41 EDT 2009, ericvh@gmail.com wrote:
>>> Everyone is busy drinking and debating protocol semantics.  I think
>>> we've managed to empty the coraid fridge of beer.
>>
>> skip, sorry about that.  we drank all your beer.
>>
>> - erik
>>

> Tsk, Tsk,
>
> ..and here some of us thought that Plan9 team were all pointy-haired
> ivory-tower
>   types who drank only white wine...
>
> ;-)
>
> ..ducks and waddles offstage...
>

> Bill

* Re: [9fans] So quiet!
@ 2009-10-23 13:34   ` W B Hacker
From: W B Hacker @ 2009-10-23 13:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

       [not found] <<14ec7b180910221953j6e4f408doe7f96e9de83833ab@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2009-10-23 11:46 ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2009-10-23 11:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> "In the cloud architecture it's Services all the way down"

at least till mack sneezes.

- erik

* Re: [9fans] So quiet!
       [not found] <<97E58495-96FA-46DD-8711-42AB5AABAFC2@gmail.com>