From: paurea@gsyc.escet.urjc.es
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Subject: [9fans] 4th edition vmware install problem
Date: Sun, 28 Apr 2002 03:53:08 +0200	[thread overview]

Russ Cox writes:
 > In place of the normal installation floppy and CD-ROM image,
 > you can download a VMware virtual disk with Plan 9 preinstalled.

I have downloaded the vmware virtual disk and have some problems
installing it. I had vmware version 2 installed on my machine (with
linux as guest os), but the disk seemed to have been installed under
version 3, so I downloaded vmware version 3.1 (eval version). The
first problem I encountered was that there were three disks:

-rwxr-xr-x    1 paurea   paurea    9173504 Apr 28 03:41 disk-02.vmdk
-rwxr-xr-x    1 paurea   paurea       2560 Apr 28 03:41 disk-03.vmdk
-rwxr-xr-x    1 paurea   paurea   266734080 Apr 28 03:41 disk.vmdk

and no documentation... :-(

I chose the most obvious one (disk.vmdk) and tried to config it. The
problem is that it (seems) to have been made under vmware version 3.0
and so I have display problems. The system seems to boot ok (but for
some starting and stoping of my cdrom) and even starts rio, but the
display is all fouled up in the same way which happens when a svga
card isn't supported.

Is there any known way out of this? what are the two other virtual disks for?

TIA
--
                 Saludos,
                         Gorka