* Re: [9fans] vmware video
@ 2002-04-28 17:45 Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2002-04-28 17:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Found the reason for the problem and a solution. For some reason the
> number of colors P9 is using in vmware is not independant of the
> number of colors the Xwindows are running with (with windows or linux
> as host I think you can use any number of colors which is under the
> number of colors of the guest, so this seems to be a bug). It works
> well if I run the Xwindows with 16 bpp of depth.

The vga driver is supposed to pick up the depth from
VMware, ignoring what you set in plan9.ini.   Which
depth doesn't work for you?

I haven't tried Plan 9 under VMware for Linux, so you're
in uncharted territory.

Russ

* Re: [9fans] vmware video
@ 2002-05-03 15:01 Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2002-05-03 15:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> I look forward to a fixed boot floppy image that I can use
> for Plan 9 within vmware.

The floppy and archive just posted last night (see Rob's message)
include better support for VMware, meaning the same drivers
currently on the mousetest floppy.  So you should be all set.

Russ

* [9fans] vmware video
@ 2002-04-29 21:37 Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2002-04-29 21:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

to those having trouble with vmware video settings:

i fixed what i think was causing all the problems,
but i'd like confirmation of that before i build
a new install floppy.

please download http://plan9.bell-labs.com/~rsc/mousetest.gz.
it's a floppy image.  uncompress it and set up a new
vm using it as the floppy.  hard disk settings are
irrelevant.

when you boot it, i hope you'll see a blank white screen.
when you start moving the mouse you'll see a text description
of the mouse coordinates and button status displayed in
the upper left corner.

if you find that it doesn't work in your favorite video
mode, mail me and we'll try to figure out what's wrong.

russ

[parent not found: <a31ae3a9522ffb72f5d464179dcf0632@plan9.bell-labs.com>]
* Re: [9fans] vmware video
@ 2002-04-29 10:45 nigel
From: nigel @ 2002-04-29 10:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

ed(1)

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 2453 bytes --]

From: didi <didi_terra@yahoo.com>
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Subject: Re: [9fans] vmware video
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2002 09:40:40 GMT

zandy@cs.wisc.edu (vic) wrote in message news:<m3g01gcsr8.fsf@localhost.localdomain>...
> Congratulations on the new release.
>
> I'm having trouble with video under vmware 3.1.
> The image is distorted.
>
> Here's a picture since I'm not sure how to describe the
> problem.
> http://www.cs.wisc.edu/~zandy/vmvga.jpg
>
> I'm running vmware on Linux.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Thanks.

It's exactly the same problem I am having, with VMware 3.1 under linux
as well as windows 2000.
As user [none] I can log in and inspect some files, but I do not know
how to configure the video. $vgasize is set to 1024x768x16. Maybe
VMware does not support this mode, but where can I set a different
one?
I managed to disable hardware acceleration (I think) for glenda by
mv-ing /rc/bin/termrc.local to something else, but how can I edit a
file when I'm in text mode? acme needs a framebuffer.

* Re: [9fans] vmware video
@ 2002-04-29  5:46 Vladimir G. Ivanovic
From: Vladimir G. Ivanovic @ 2002-04-29  5:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

[Apologies if this is yet another duplicate message.]

Unfortunately, I too am having trouble with the video.

Switching X to 16 bpp didn't help. I still get a screen with
windows/frames, but no text, no mouse/keyboard and strange lines in the
windows/frames.

My Linux host screen is 1600x1200 and my Plan9 guest is 1024x768, both
at 16 bpp.

I'm also running Win2K guest on Linux host successfully, so I know the
"hardware" is working.

I've appended my config file if that's of any use.

Any ideas on what I should try to debug this problem?

Thanks!

-- Vladimir

vic wrote:

>Congratulations on the new release.
>
>I'm having trouble with video under vmware 3.1.
>The image is distorted.
>
>Here's a picture since I'm not sure how to describe the
>problem.
>http://www.cs.wisc.edu/~zandy/vmvga.jpg
>
>I'm running vmware on Linux.
>
>Any suggestions?
>
>Thanks.

#!/usr/bin/vmware
config.version = 6
virtualHW.version = 2
displayName = "Plan 9 from Bell Labs"

# CD-ROM
ide1:0.present = TRUE
ide1:0.fileName = /dev/cdrom1
ide1:0.deviceType = "cdrom-image"
ide1:0.startConnected = FALSE

# Virtual hard disk on primary master
ide0:0.present = TRUE
ide0:0.fileName = /mnt/archives/plan9/disk.vmdk
ide0:0.deviceType = ata-hardDisk
ide0:0.mode = persistent
ide0:0.writethrough = FALSE

# Floppy
floppy0.present = "TRUE"
floppy0.fileName = /dev/fd0
floppy0.startConnected = FALSE

# Networked through shared IP address
ethernet0.present = TRUE
ethernet0.connectionType = nat

# Memory size
memsize = 128

# Nvram
nvram = other.nvram

# Log file
log.fileName = plan9.log

# Hints
guestOS = other

--- Vladimir

--------
Vladimir G. Ivanovic                        http://leonora.org/~vladimir
2770 Cowper St.                                         vladimir@acm.org
Palo Alto, CA 94306-2447                                 +1 650 678 8014

* Re: [9fans] 4th edition vmware install problem
@ 2002-04-28  4:15 Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2002-04-28  4:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

You should be able to use the config file Other.vmx
that came in the .tar.bz2 file.  You shouldn't need
to do any more than that.  The package was made using
VMware version 3.1.

Russ