* [9fans] low cost risc-v development platform for Plan 9
@ 2021-02-28 20:37 rt9f.3141
From: rt9f.3141 @ 2021-02-28 20:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

The BeagleBoard Org have recently introduced a Linux-capable risc-v based board called "BeagleV".
     ref: https://beagleboard.org/beaglev
     ref: https://www.tomshardware.com/uk/news/beaglev-riscv-announced

The CPU is a  U74 risc-v dual core running at 1.5GHz (roughly equivalent to Cortex A55).
It has three coprocessors:
 * Tensilica-VP6 Vision DSP for computing vision
 * NVDLA Engine - NVIDIA® Deep Learning Accelerator (2048 MACs@800MHz )
 * Neural Network Engine (1024 MACs@500MHz)
And comes in two flavors: 4GB ($119) and 8GB ($149).

Of course it'd be great just to have Plan 9 running on a risc-v platform, but it seems to me the real value here would be in showcasing Plan 9's architecture and an elegant API to multiple disparate coprocessors.

BeagleBoard has a good track record of creating an ecosystem around their boards; and a history of supporting production of boards, new and old, for many years after.

I have no relationship with BeagleBoard Org or SiFive, Inc.  I'm just someone who [re]discovered Plan 9 a few weeks ago, I see potential, and I'm loving it.

I'm new to Plan 9, but would love to work on this port.  Anyone else interested?