From: erik quanstrom <quanstro@quanstro.net>
To: 9fans@9fans.net
Subject: Re: [9fans] file server?
Date: Fri, 14 Aug 2009 08:07:26 -0400	[thread overview]

> The venti archive starts at 2AM, and my cron job is at 4AM. So far, I've not
> yet had an archive take longer than 2 hours. But that's partly due to
> triggering one explicitly after a pull that's just replaced all my
> executables ;-)

that's surprising to me that it would take that long.
is that typical?

just on the back of the proverbial envelope ...
a completely seek-bound disk with 8k blocks
gets ~3mb/s even when diabolicly seek bound,
lets take something way more pessimistic
like 0.5mb/s for 1 hr = 1800mb.

180mb dumps would still be large, so you
must be getting on the order of 50kb/s
dumps?

i'm not a venti expert, but i find it hard to believe
that venti would be that slow normally.  do you
need to resize memory or your bloom filter?

hope my display of ignorance here doesn't
seem like criticism.

- erik