* [9fans] Autoexpand in sam
@ 2021-09-22 20:14 revcomninos
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: revcomninos @ 2021-09-22 20:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Is there a way to implement autoexpand and autocorrect in sam in any way, i.e. for common spelling mistakes and commonly used phrases?

I don't need anything too sophisticated.

Thanks.

* Re: [9fans] Autoexpand in sam
@ 2021-09-22 22:51 ` umbraticus
From: umbraticus @ 2021-09-22 22:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> autocorrect in sam

not really but you can ,>spell

* Re: [9fans] Autoexpand in sam
@ 2021-09-23  0:51   ` revcomninos
From: revcomninos @ 2021-09-23  0:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

No problem. Thanks. Yes, I use and love ,>spell. :)

* Re: [9fans] Autoexpand in sam
@ 2021-09-23  3:08 ` Ethan Gardener
From: Ethan Gardener @ 2021-09-23  3:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Wed, Sep 22, 2021, at 9:14 PM, revcomninos@gmail.com wrote:
> Is there a way to implement autoexpand and autocorrect in sam in any
> way, i.e. for common spelling mistakes and commonly used phrases?

I once wrote a script with several regexp substitutions, but gave up when I realised I'd need to implement an entire dictionary. I often typed 'ign' for 'ing', but words legitimately ending in 'ign' are surprisingly common. I tried to make the regexp smarter, but ended up using it on individual words, double-clicking each incorrect word and running |ac . This was quick enough in Acme, perhaps not bad in Sam. I'd attach the script, but it's long since lost now.

* Re: [9fans] Autoexpand in sam
@ 2021-09-23  5:29 ` Skip Tavakkolian
From: Skip Tavakkolian @ 2021-09-23  5:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

For sam, the best bet is to feed text into spell and separately use
dict for partial word match and definitions.

Using acme with aspell and adict helpers (/acme/bin/source) works
reasonably well. Select some text, feed it to aspell (>aspell), then
do partial lookups of the misspelled words in the adict window.

On Wed, Sep 22, 2021 at 1:15 PM <revcomninos@gmail.com> wrote:

> Is there a way to implement autoexpand and autocorrect in sam in any way, i.e. for common spelling mistakes and commonly used phrases?
>
> I don't need anything too sophisticated.
>
> Thanks.
>
> 9fans / 9fans / see discussions + participants + delivery options Permalink

* Re: [9fans] Autoexpand in sam
@ 2021-09-23  5:54   ` umbraticus
From: umbraticus @ 2021-09-23  5:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Another related convenience is to have a rule
somewhere near the bottom of your plumbing file
that pops up a window and prints the dictionary
listing for the word you plumbed. If I could
remember who it was I would thank the person
who recommended this to me because I use it all
the time.

If you are confident with the first part of a word
look(1) could be handy. You could also write a filter
that transposes letters until it finds a match in
/lib/words.  Some toys along these lines:

http://runjimmyrunrunyoufuckerrun.com/rc/anagram
http://runjimmyrunrunyoufuckerrun.com/rc/bee

umbraticus

* Re: [9fans] Autoexpand in sam
@ 2021-09-23  9:22     ` revcomninos
From: revcomninos @ 2021-09-23  9:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I am very grateful for these. Thanks for posting.

* Re: [9fans] Autoexpand in sam
@ 2021-09-25 16:07       ` revcomninos
From: revcomninos @ 2021-09-25 16:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Having spoken of ,>spell I seem now to betting an unusual message. If I run ,>spell on my current file within sam, I get (sam: more in /tmp/sam.err) . Anyone know what this means and how it can be corrected?

* Re: [9fans] Autoexpand in sam
@ 2021-09-25 18:45         ` Silas
From: Silas @ 2021-09-25 18:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Your error mean spell's  output is too large to fit within sam's command window.

I don't have much experience with spell but I'd suggest correcting some of the typos found and running again or opening via B /tmp/sam.err and examining the typos found.

Silas

* Re: [9fans] Autoexpand in sam
@ 2021-09-26  4:40           ` revcomninos
From: revcomninos @ 2021-09-26  4:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Thank you Silas. You have helped solve the problem. I was trying to access this file after I had exited sam, rather than from within it.

* Re: [9fans] Autoexpand in sam
@ 2021-09-26  7:42             ` Steve Simon
From: Steve Simon @ 2021-09-26  7:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

i would use ,|spell which replaces the current window with sam’s output, then, having taken note of the errors, type u to undo and fix the mistakes.

this is just personal choice of course.

-Steve