Well, that shows how little x86 assembly language I've had to deal with the last few years. I had assumed an 8a instruction like MOVL something, CX would have been movl %ecx, something with whatever assembler they use now to compile Amoeba. You say the instruction would be the same. Thanks for the clarification. /* * measure time for the loop * * MOVL loops,CX * aaml1: AAM * LOOP aaml1 * * the time for the loop should be independent of external * cache and memory system since it fits in the execution * prefetch buffer. * */