@Humm: I understand that Android isn't a fork of Linux, I meant to imply that although Android is argued to be a Linux distro, they have very different environments that can't easily interact with each other. I also know that the meaning of forking is objective, I meant that forking invokes the mentioned feelings in me, subjectively. I understand that Plan 9 is not being developed anymore, but the community seems to be centered around it rather than 9front. Therefore, I wondered if that's because 9front, despite being forked, intends to stay true to Plan 9, like Linux distros stay true to the Linux kernel despite small configurations, as you said, so that if other operational systems are forked from Plan 9, they are able to interoperate easily with 9front. @ori: Those are examples of forked software that happened because of the discontinuation of the original software, right? At least most of them are. That's what 9front is to Plan 9, right? If so, thanks for the clarification. ------------------------------------------ 9fans: 9fans Permalink: https://9fans.topicbox.com/groups/9fans/T395156d4f2b00cde-M87789286d714c98cde7fe91b Delivery options: https://9fans.topicbox.com/groups/9fans/subscription