On Saturday, 29 January 2022, at 9:44 PM, hiro wrote: > if the odd one out of the students learns plan9 you think that's not worth their while? then why do you use plan9 yourself? i would have loved to have a teacher in uni that uses plan9. I don't can't and won't hide the fact that my virtual machine image is based upon plan9, 9front. It's based upon so every student will find references links to associated projects. Therefore I asked for your prefered form of acknowledgement. On Saturday, 29 January 2022, at 9:44 PM, hiro wrote: > what makes you think everything will work and your students are happy with the system? In the last decade students using the freebsd version very happy with it and I hope students from the wintersemester will also be happy. This platform is meant to support them learning their examination stuff and the feedback is not bad. There will always be roam for improvements, there will always be bugs. All I can do is do my best. On Saturday, 29 January 2022, at 9:48 PM, hiro wrote: > yes, it's very dangerous in terms of licensing. i suggest you rewrite ghostscript as gs/pdf reading ability is very important for most users (even for our own docs). I don't need this cause I am representing drawing data as svg or in a format similar to emf (enhanced metafile). Images are represented till now in zipped ppm format. Fonts are represented in ttf. And I support the dvi format produced by tex and metafont. pdf and ps make the use of fonts necessary which have licensing issues. On Saturday, 29 January 2022, at 9:48 PM, hiro wrote: > looking forward to your code submissions. I am at it. As you remember from the other thread there is no agreement about adding framebuffer support to plan9. This will show a simple application which doesn't use devdraw, memdraw, memlayer and can't coexist with them. If their are no agreements about how and where to support a framebuffer interface its not worth the effort to implement it in a compatible way. This proof of concept version will only give a taste about what would be possible. (Expect some kind of animation without text rendering - which is not difficult but needs a clear interface definition). Of course I would prefer to share those parts with the main distros/forks of plan9 the more they are used the better they get and the more possible bugs will be discovered. But if you expect a desktop alternative to rio with a theming window manager than an agreement is necessary to not waste time for things never meant to be part of plan9. ------------------------------------------ 9fans: 9fans Permalink: https://9fans.topicbox.com/groups/9fans/T3e07bfdf263a83c8-M586a4373747116cfeee6fdbb Delivery options: https://9fans.topicbox.com/groups/9fans/subscription