On Sunday, 30 January 2022, at 2:45 AM, ron minnich wrote: > The late jmk and I labored over a period of many months in 2013 to get Plan 9 out under a BSD license. In the end, the copyright holder at that time required that we distribute it, via UC Berkeley, under the GPL. No choice. It was that or nothing. Those negotiations involved many people, and it almost did not happen at all. As far as I recall OpenBSD (Theo dR) was interested in BSD licensed compilers at that time and that didn't happen. On Sunday, 30 January 2022, at 2:45 AM, ron minnich wrote: > The p9f process was not a relicensing, it was a transfer of ownership of the code. One condition of the transfer, was that the GPL was explicitly named as a license we should not use. All agreed that the MIT license was a good one. Thanks for this choice and your efforts during those negotiations. I only read about the expectations from BSD projects which were hoping to get an alternative Compiler for GCC. But that didn't happen at that time. Thank you for clarifying things sorry if I made wrong assumptions. ------------------------------------------ 9fans: 9fans Permalink: https://9fans.topicbox.com/groups/9fans/T3e07bfdf263a83c8-M7727dcecedf37178853eb7de Delivery options: https://9fans.topicbox.com/groups/9fans/subscription