From: "ibrahim via 9fans" <9fans@9fans.net>
To: 9fans <9fans@9fans.net>
Subject: Re: [9fans] Perhaps someone can give me an advice ...
Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2022 14:02:38 -0400	[thread overview]

On Friday, 18 March 2022, at 9:07 PM, sirjofri wrote:
> If someone does some work on native 9p stuff for android I'd really love
some apk. I'm not an android dev, only did very few things on android
programming-wise.

After testing smb, ftpd and httpd approaches for my current problem I decided to use the ftpd and httpd solutions. The httpd solution combined with a uplaod html page which contains javascript using the file and xmlhttprequest api works on both android and ios without any needs for supplementary apps as long as scripting isn't restricted. The ftpd and smb approach also works but makes additional apps on the user phone necessary while most of those apps are freely available (also perhaps potentially dangerous for the users).

While for my project there are no benefits doing this its possible to write a 9p fileserver in javascript only relying on the file and xmlhttprequest using html and the js file. It would temporarily make a 9p filesystem available on the plan9 side but I'm sure the connection will be closed unexpectedly by the browsers on the phone side so this will cause more problems than bring benefits. For my project using ftpd and httpd suffice cause my users can now transfer data directly to plan9 with tools available for android and ios.

Instead of opening a new thread : I'm interested in low budget thin client solutions with plan9 as an intranet server which than connects to a web server for data exchange.

Currently I have tested my approch on :

Fujitsu S900, Lenovo M32, Igel M340. I didn't get my hands on a HP 610 or Fujitsu S920 perhaps someone already tried this and can share his experience.

Also I prepare a list of low budget USB WLan Sticks which are supported by 9legacy and 9front enhancements. Currently I mastered support for sticks with Realtek RT 8188. I ordered about 20 different models with different chipsets for testing and adjusting the drivers. If somebody knows about other chipsets working with 9legacy or 9front just telling what works would be nice.

While on wait I'm intending to port the freebsd bluetooth stack (netgraph) to plan9. I would be surprised if no one started such a project till now so if someone shares this goal I would be interested in a cooperative work.

Thanks for replies ...