From: andpuke@foxmail.com
To: 9fans <9fans@9fans.net>
Subject: Re: [9fans] Re: ctrans - Chinese language input for Plan9
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2022 15:14:21 -0400	[thread overview]

On Wednesday, 20 July 2022, at 11:15 PM, cigar562hfsp952fans wrote:
> I've often wondered that.  What input methods do Chinese speakers use?
What do Chinese keyboards look like?  How do they find/select the
character they want?  Are different sets of characters available on
different computers, or are input methods standardized?  I wonder.
Most Chinese speakers just use standard "British and American keyboards". There are keycaps engraved with Wubi or Cangjie or Bopomofo (or Zhuyin), but they are all compatible with QWERTY.

On Thursday, 21 July 2022, at 1:58 AM, sirjofri wrote:
> I was more referring to computers built without any american influence at
all, so no ansi, no ascii, no LTR, probably different keycodes...
Cangjie was the first solution to Chinese processing with *personal computers* (at the time of Apple ][ it was sold as  extension boards.)
There used to be other encoding methods such as using only numpad (Four-Corner Method), or special keyboards (Ming Kwai typewriter), even an input method for Chinese had been invented in US https://patents.google.com/patent/US2412777A, but they were almost disappeared.

There are a few other considerations regards to adopting Cangjie besides https://9fans.topicbox.com/groups/9fans/Tba6835d445e07919-Mf1934dc65975e0ca3989d488/ctrans-chinese-language-input-for-plan9:

1. Cangjie is copyright free and related IMEs are distributed as free software, while (at least newer version of) Wubi is patented.
2. Personally, I realized the order of strokes has been changed during the last 10 years or so and similarly, the pronunciation of certain characters has also altered over the time.

Best wishes
---
ldb