* [9fans] p9p vac issue
@ 2009-06-20 16:11 phætøn
From: phætøn @ 2009-06-20 16:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

X-No-Archive: YesI'm using the latest p9p and the following fails for a simple directory A containing a file a with the text Aa:vac -h localhost -v -f A.vac AThe error is:create bsize 8192 psize 8160vac: vacfscreate: vacfileroot: read too small: asked for 0 need at least 389The archive is a freshly created archive with 16M arena, 4M isect, 1M bloom, an arena size of 1M, a mem and bcmem of 512k, an icmem of 1M.Please help!
Windows Live helps you keep up with all your friends, in one place.
http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=9660826

* Re: [9fans] p9p vac issue
@ 2009-06-21  0:08 ` Adrian Tritschler
From: Adrian Tritschler @ 2009-06-21  0:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Same problem that I've had since about the 10th of June on two
separate p9p ventis on two machines, I can no longer get data into
them or out of them.  There were a few followups with a subject of
"p9p venti problem", but no fix.  If you get a solution please let me
know what it is.

  thanks
    Adrian

--
Adrian

* Re: [9fans] p9p vac issue
       [not found]           ` <d7c5dc2d2043edb5f99143a8e701f5e8@quanstro.net>
@ 2009-06-27  2:12             ` Fernan Bolando
From: Fernan Bolando @ 2009-06-27  2:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Tue, Jun 23, 2009 at 12:50 AM, erik quanstrom<quanstro@quanstro.net> wrote:
>> looks like it's related to the error above. you might want to downgrade to
>> http://swtch.com/plan9port/plan9port-20090609.tgz
>
> fortune tells me
>
> The most effective debugging tool is still careful thought,
> coupled with judiciously placed print statements.
>        -Kernighan, 1978
>
> i don't think this bug is going to be fixed without a
> bit of actual debugging.  since your theories are rather
> easy to test, i would think it would be much easier to
> arrive at a solution via a frontal assault bwk style, rather
> than sniping at it from the safety of the mailing list.
>
> i promise, vac won't shoot back.  even if you pull out
> gdb.
>
> i'm interested in what the actual bug is.

yes, It appears I might be wrong

This warning is probably just a overly paranoid openbsd compiler
vac.c:509: warning: sizeof(pointer) possibly incorrect in argument 3

and might not be related to this error
create bsize 8192 psize 8160vac: vacfscreate: vacfileroot: read too
small: asked for 0 need at least 389

I looked at it again and tried the vac command on a test venti and it
worked with no errors. Even with the sizeof warning. I no longer have
a copy of the problematic plan9port.tgz so I took
a new copy from swtch.com. It was either fixed by someone else or the
error was a fluke.

fernan

--
http://www.fernski.com

* Re: [9fans] p9p vac issue
@ 2009-06-22 16:50           ` erik quanstrom
       [not found]           ` <d7c5dc2d2043edb5f99143a8e701f5e8@quanstro.net>
From: erik quanstrom @ 2009-06-22 16:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: fernanbolando, 9fans

> looks like it's related to the error above. you might want to downgrade to
> http://swtch.com/plan9port/plan9port-20090609.tgz

fortune tells me

The most effective debugging tool is still careful thought,
coupled with judiciously placed print statements.
	-Kernighan, 1978

i don't think this bug is going to be fixed without a
bit of actual debugging.  since your theories are rather
easy to test, i would think it would be much easier to
arrive at a solution via a frontal assault bwk style, rather
than sniping at it from the safety of the mailing list.

i promise, vac won't shoot back.  even if you pull out
gdb.

i'm interested in what the actual bug is.

- erik

* Re: [9fans] p9p vac issue
@ 2009-06-22 16:20         ` Fernan Bolando
       [not found]           ` <d7c5dc2d2043edb5f99143a8e701f5e8@quanstro.net>
From: Fernan Bolando @ 2009-06-22 16:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

@ 2009-06-22 14:40       ` Fernan Bolando
From: Fernan Bolando @ 2009-06-22 14:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Mon, Jun 22, 2009 at 8:08 PM, Mathieu L.<lejatorn@gmail.com> wrote:
> if you can't get an old one from swtch.com, I can tar this mid-february
> tree I have - or rather only the necessary parts - and serve it to you
> if you want.
>
> Mathieu

regards
fernan
--
http://www.fernski.com

* Re: [9fans] p9p vac issue
@ 2009-06-22 12:08     ` Mathieu L.
From: Mathieu L. @ 2009-06-22 12:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

if you can't get an old one from swtch.com, I can tar this mid-february
tree I have - or rather only the necessary parts - and serve it to you
if you want.

Mathieu

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 7104 bytes --]

[-- Attachment #2.1.1: Type: text/plain, Size: 761 bytes --]

--
Adrian

[-- Attachment #2.1.2: Type: text/html, Size: 1389 bytes --]

* Re: [9fans] p9p vac issue
@ 2009-06-22 12:06     ` Josh Wood
From: Josh Wood @ 2009-06-22 12:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> OK, so all I need now is to get my hands on an old copy of the p9p
> binaries... the only old ones I've got are carefully backed up
> inside the venti that I can't get at :)

I'm not sure why you may need binaries as you say, but older source
revs can be pulled from hg or cvs, also giving a chance to bisect
where a bug may have been introduced.

-Josh

* Re: [9fans] p9p vac issue
@ 2009-06-22 11:33   ` Adrian Tritschler
From: Adrian Tritschler @ 2009-06-22 11:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

--
Adrian

* Re: [9fans] p9p vac issue
@ 2009-06-22  8:33 ` Mathieu L.
From: Mathieu L. @ 2009-06-22  8:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Indeed, this works for me as well.
I've just migrated the arenas, bloom and isect to another machine with
a p9p tree from mid February and I had no problem unvacing my data
there. And for what it's worth, checkindex on that machine didn't report
any problem while it did on the machine with the recent p9p install
(which gives me the same vac/unvac issues as the ones already reported
by a few people).
So the data seems to be ok, which is already quite a relief.

Cheers,
Mathieu

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 4326 bytes --]

From: phætøn <phaet0n@hotmail.com>
To: <9fans@9fans.net>
Subject: [9fans] p9p vac issue
Date: Mon, 22 Jun 2009 04:10:56 -0400

This is not much of a solution to the problem,

however I have temporarily resolved my issue

by performing vac/unvac using my p9p tree

from mid-March, and then resorting to the

latest p9p for vacfs/9pfuse in order to mount

my archives.

For those researching the issue, I think some

change between the middle of March and now

is causing the inability of vac to write to a

venti archive on p9p with the error:

@ 2009-06-22  8:10 phætøn
From: phætøn @ 2009-06-22  8:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2009-06-21  4:18 phætøn
From: phætøn @ 2009-06-21  4:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Adrian T. wrote:> There were a few followups with a subject of> "p9p venti problem", but no fix.
I had looked up that thread, and the thread that Venkatesh S.refers to earlier with the subject "P9P venti/copy bug?" from9fans:2009/02:198. Nathaniel F. suggests a patch in 9fans:2009/03:730 however that doesn't solve the problem for me.I had looked through the hg history for p9p and the patchwas never merged, so I'd manually applied it and rebuilt tono avail.
I am not really familiar with the structure of vac or venti. Ido have a large archive on an external drive, and encounteredthis problem when attempting to see how file structure wasexposed with embedded .vac files in the archive tree. I canstill read  my old archive, however I am weary of addingdata to it without some resolution to this issue for fear ofcorrupting what is already there.
I too would like to see a resolution to this long standing issue.