From: Adrian Tritschler <ajft@ajft.org>
To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs <9fans@9fans.net>
Subject: Re: [9fans] file server?
Date: Sun, 16 Aug 2009 12:12:22 +1000	[thread overview]

2009/8/14 Lyndon Nerenberg <lyndon@orthanc.ca>:
>> This is what we do at Sandia. We have one machine which serves
>> cpu/auth/file, but the actual Venti disks are in a Coraid connected
>> via GigE. The fossil disk is in the server, but if it dies we can just
>> build a new one.
>
> Which reminds me of an often overlooked but important point:
>
>  Save your fossil vac scores on another machine!

Amen, a dozen times!  Having lost the lot once or twice due to
stupidity or hardware failures I've now got this under control, still
not entirely happy with my venti arena archiving and seeking
inspiration there.

I'll add the description of my trivial home system to the mix. A
ubuntu linux PC running p9p's venti, a plan9 cpu/fossil-fileserver
running under QEMU and drawterm.  A few times I've tried running 9vx
but for unknown reasons I can crash it as soon as I look at it
sideways - I suspect either operator error or oddities of my setup.
All running on a P4 shuttle system tucked into the corner of my desk.

> Without them, your seperate venti server is JBOD :-P Well, not quite. You
> can eventually find the right vac score, but you have to manually mount each
> and every score in the venti until you find the right one. See
> /sys/src/cmd/venti/words/dumpvacroots. You could probably semi-automate the
> process by writing a script that mounted each of the scores in turn,
> checking the mtime of something like /sys/log/timesync in each, and sorting
> the vac scores accordingly.
>
> On my setup I aux/clog the fileserver console to a u9fs mounted directory on
> a UNIX server. You could also cobble something up that scans the fossil
> console for vac scores and emails them to an offsite address.

For me, cron runs fossil/last and mails it to gmail

> --lyndon
  Adrain

--
Adrian