* [9fans] applying a patch on 9front
@ 2023-02-01 13:05 jimerickso
From: jimerickso @ 2023-02-01 13:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

i am trying to patch etheriwl.c on 9front. the patch is available on this list under the topic "modification of etheriwl.c for intel ac 7265". however i can not get the patch to apply. how do i do this? i have tried both 'git/import' and 'ape/patch' to no avail. any help would be appreciated. thanks for your time.

* Re: [9fans] applying a patch on 9front
@ 2023-02-01 18:25 ` Chris Gorman
From: Chris Gorman @ 2023-02-01 18:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

HI jimerickso,

To get the patch to apply on my system, I used

cd /sys/src/9/pc
cat $home/etheriwl.c.diff | ape/patch -p5

Then you need to copy iwm-7265-17 from the openbsd firmware blobs and
put it into /lib/firmware, then build your kernel.

This will configure the iwm-7265-17 firmware blob to load with an
ac-7265.  Unfortunately, not all ac-7265's require this particular
blob.  I have another one that requires the iwm-7265D-29.  It also
identifies itself with the same pci id, 0x095a, so there is no way to
differentiate which firmware to load at the moment.  You have to know
what firmware the ac-7265 needs and then code etheriwl.c to suit.

Good luck and I hope you get your wireless working.  I kind of gave up
on mine as I couldn't get it to work at boot, but if you get it
working let me know.

Best regards,

Chris

@ 2023-02-01 18:55   ` jimerickso
From: jimerickso @ 2023-02-01 18:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

thank you kindly chris gorman! i got the patch to apply and got it to connect at boot. but when it connects rio wont start. when it doesn't connect rio starts. not sure what to do.

* Re: [9fans] applying a patch on 9front
@ 2023-02-01 19:08     ` ori
From: ori @ 2023-02-01 19:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Quoth jimerickso@gmail.com:
> thank you kindly chris gorman! i got the patch to apply and got it to connect at boot. but when it connects rio wont start. when it doesn't connect rio starts. not sure what to do.

there's nowhere near enough information to help you;
you'll need to be more specific.

read:

        https://www.mikeash.com/getting_answers.html

* Re: [9fans] applying a patch on 9front
@ 2023-02-01 19:20     ` Chris Gorman
From: Chris Gorman @ 2023-02-01 19:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hi jimerickso,

I'm a bit of a newbie when it comes to plan9, so you've run into
something I haven't seen yet.  Sorry I can't be of more help.  My
experience was that I couldn't get the system to recognise and
authenticate the wifi so it would connect to the network at boot.  I
modified my plan9.ini with

ether0=type=iwl essid=MYESSID debug=1
wpapsk=WPAPASSWORD

For some reason this failed to authenticate and connect my machine to
my localnet.

I could however run the following once my machine was up and the wifi worked.

bind -a '#l1' /net
echo 'key proto=wpapsk essid=MYESSID !password=WPAPASSWORD' >> /mnt/factotum/ctl
aux/wpa -2p -s MYESSID /net/ether1
ip/ipconfig ether /net/ether1

At any rate we should probably move this to the 9front email list if
we need to discuss it further.

Best regards,

Chris