From: "Mathieu Lonjaret" <lejatorn@gmail.com>
To: "Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs" <9fans@9fans.net>
Subject: Re: [9fans] new cdfs for DVDs and BDs
Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2008 11:10:33 +0200	[thread overview]

Hello,

After (a pull and) some more experimentation and with the help of Erik, there's
been some progress but I still have some problems.

1) It turns out that the "wrong format" issue was because of me being naive
enough to assume that cdfs was doing all the magic of making an iso9660 fs
out of the files one copies to /mnt/cd/wd. So copying a .iso file actually works
fine for me with a CD-RW or a CD-R (Verbatim brand) so far. Dunno if it deserves
maybe one line of warning about that in the manpage (maybe i missed it?)...

2) I eventually tried a DVD+R; it also works, except that since dma is not
enabled, it is painfully slow. I haven't timed it properly but I think
it took around
2 hours to burn a full 4.7GB debian iso.
When I try to activate dma (either with dmaon command, or with
"echo 'dma on' > /dev/sdC0/ctl") I get no message at first, but the
next operation
on the drive gets me a "disabling dma: not on a busmastering
controller" message.
Erik had me try a few changes in the sdiahci.c driver but to no avail so far.

3) No success at all in burning DVD+RW's (also Verbatim brand). Whether it be
for blanking or directly burning, I still get the following message:
"cmd #1a: cannot write medium - incompatible format" (#1a when trying to
 quickblank, #2a when trying to cp).

So any help for 2) and/or 3) are welcome.

Thanks,
Mathieu

--
GPG key on subkeys.pgp.net:

KeyID: | Fingerprint:
683DE5F3 | 4324 5818 39AA 9545 95C6 09AF B0A4 DFEA 683D E5F3