From: "G B via 9fans" <9fans@9fans.net>
To: 9fans <9fans@9fans.net>
Subject: Re: [9fans] Plan9 multi-core support
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2023 12:32:55 +0000 (UTC)	[thread overview]

 Windows and Linux began on single-core single processor machines. Multiprocessor had been around for some time--IBM's System 360 began using multi-processors in 1968--but not for x86. Plan 9 first edition came out in 1992, at a time when multicore didn't exist, and multicore was released with IBM's Power 4 in 2001.
I can see why someone would ask if Plan 9 supports multicore. Plan 9 3rd edition was released in 2000 and 4th edition was released in 2002. In each case, going from single core-single processor to multiprocessor and then from multiprocessor to multicore would require changes in the operating system to recognize the extra processors and then the cores.
    On Sunday, August 27, 2023 at 04:50:50 PM CDT, <ori@eigenstate.org> wrote:

 Quoth dusan3sic@gmail.com:
> I finally read the article about asking questions, sorry if i was being rude or was waisting your time, wasn't my intention.

people wrote documentation for a reason; sometimes the documentation is
confusing, insufficient, or you didn't know the right keyword to look up
so you could help yourself; that's ok.

but you need to at least try, and give enough information on how you tried
so that you can be pointed in the right direction.

> And about the multi-core support, well I kinda moved away from it since I don't really need it, I was just wondering if i can disable it in an easy way for the measurement I am doing

yes; from the plan9.ini manpage, where most boot options are documented:

        *nomp=
          A multiprocessor machine will enable all processors by
          default.  Setting *nomp restricts the kernel to starting
          only one processor and using the traditional interrupt con-
          troller.

Editing 9fat should be covered in the FQA, in section 7.2:

        https://fqa.9front.org/fqa7.html