* Re: [9fans] $smtp dns failure
@ 2007-01-15 19:28 erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2007-01-15 19:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rsc, 9fans

'$' seems like an unfortunately choice for dial strings because
it is easy to confuse with a shell/environment variable.

perhaps a different character could be chosen?

	net!¢smtp!smtp

the cost of change, unfortunately, would be high.

- erik

* Re: [9fans] $smtp dns failure
@ 2007-01-16 20:31 erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2007-01-16 20:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rsc, 9fans

i'm not sure why you're taking offence.  to me it seemed clear that mxlookup
differs from the algorithm in section 5 of 2821 and what other mailers do.
the rfc doesn't say that we need to abort of the mx lookup fails.  i think this
is important because it's possible for an mx lookup to fail and an a/a6 lookup on
the same name return results.  i had quite a bit of trouble with this when using
level-5's dns last year.  in addition, a quick inspection of postfix' src/smtp/smtp_addr.c
seems to confirm that they perform a/a6 lookup on mx lookup failure.  since
other smtp agents don't notice the misconfiguration, we are left to find it.

anyway, i put the effort into pulling together my notes from last year on this
to help, not to annoy.  hopefull this information is not a further annoyance.

- erik

* Re: [9fans] $smtp dns failure
@ 2007-01-16 17:01 erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2007-01-16 17:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mteege, 9fans

the behaviour is not correct. rfc 2821 (section 5) says

  The lookup first attempts to locate an MX
   record associated with the name.  If a CNAME record is found instead,
   the resulting name is processed as if it were the initial name.  If
   no MX records are found, but an A RR is found, the A RR is treated as
   if it was associated with an implicit MX RR, with a preference of 0,
   pointing to that host.  If one or more MX RRs are found for a given
   name, SMTP systems MUST NOT utilize any A RRs associated with that
   name unless they are located using the MX RRs; the "implicit MX" rule
   above applies only if there are no MX records present.  If MX records
   are present, but none of them are usable, this situation MUST be
   reported as an error.

- erik

* [9fans] $smtp dns failure
@ 2007-01-15 16:55 Matthias Teege
From: Matthias Teege @ 2007-01-15 16:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Moin,

is there any change in the behavior of /mail/lib/rewrite? I use

([^!]*)!(.*) "/mail/lib/qmail '\s' 'net!$smtp'" "'\2@\1'"

to send email over the local gateway but got

crn Jan 15 16:38:27 dns: dns failure (net!$smtp)

There is a smtp gateway specified in /lib/ndb/local. Do I need to put
the gateway in rewrite?

Matthias