* [9fans] FUSE on Plan9
@ 2014-12-12 10:49 Jens Staal
                   ` (4 more replies)
From: Jens Staal @ 2014-12-12 10:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: '9fans'

This might not be popular among most Plan9 users, but I started thinking about
the possibility of FUSE on Plan9 after seeing the FUSE on WebDAV [1] project.
At least on 9front, WebDAV should be integrated in webfs.

Would this theoretically work? The advantage of FUSE is access to a number of
popular file systems (most notably ext4, NTFS, ZFS) and also many special-
purpose file systems.

It feels a bit round-about and wasteful to go via webfs, so I guess the most
appropriate method would be to implement a FUSE library directly on top of 9P
instead of the kernel VFS - possibly by porting the NetBSD
librefuse/libperfused [2] or the OpenBSD libfuse [3]. The disadvantage with
this approach is that I am far too inexperienced and have far too little time
to actually attempt this.

What are your thoughts? Should I try to get the fuse-on-webdav working on
Plan9? Any other attempts with a more proper port/implementation already
ongoing?

1. https://github.com/rianhunter/davfuse
2. http://netbsd.gw.com/cgi-bin/man-cgi?perfused+8+NetBSD-6.0
3. http://undeadly.org/cgi?action=article&sid=20131108082749