* [9fans] Starting a blog on plan 9
@ 2012-05-08  9:34 IainWS
                   ` (8 more replies)
From: IainWS @ 2012-05-08  9:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hi there! I am trying to get involved more with plan 9 but having some
trouble finding resources on it that are all in one place. I have
started a blog so that I can add resources to make things more simple
for new users, and for the community in general. What do people think
about this?

You can find the link to this here:

http://plan9docs.wordpress.com/

Any feedback would be much appreciated.

* Re: [9fans] Starting a blog on plan 9
@ 2012-05-08 10:19 ` Nicolas Bercher
                   ` (7 subsequent siblings)
From: Nicolas Bercher @ 2012-05-08 10:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 08/05/2012 11:34, IainWS wrote:
> Hi there! I am trying to get involved more with plan 9 but having some
> trouble finding resources on it that are all in one place. I have
> started a blog so that I can add resources to make things more simple
> for new users, and for the community in general. What do people think
> about this?
>
> You can find the link to this here:
>
> http://plan9docs.wordpress.com/
>
> Any feedback would be much appreciated.

Its often useful to share your experience, I appreciate this.

Nicolas

* Re: [9fans] Starting a blog on plan 9
@ 2012-05-08 14:44 ` Tassilo Philipp
                   ` (6 subsequent siblings)
From: Tassilo Philipp @ 2012-05-08 14:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

I love it! Thanks for the work you put into this, hands-on experience is
always good.

> Hi there! I am trying to get involved more with plan 9 but having some
> trouble finding resources on it that are all in one place. I have
> started a blog so that I can add resources to make things more simple
> for new users, and for the community in general. What do people think
> about this?
>
> You can find the link to this here:
>
> http://plan9docs.wordpress.com/
>
> Any feedback would be much appreciated.

* Re: [9fans] Starting a blog on plan 9
@ 2012-05-08 14:51 ` Christoph Lohmann
                   ` (5 subsequent siblings)
From: Christoph Lohmann @ 2012-05-08 14:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Greetings.

On Tue, 08 May 2012 16:51:16 +0200 IainWS <iainws@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi there! I am trying to get involved more with plan 9 but having some
> trouble finding resources on it that are all in one place. I have
> started a blog so that I can add resources to make things more simple
> for new users, and for the community in general. What do people think
> about this?
>
> You can find the link to this here:
>
> http://plan9docs.wordpress.com/
>
> Any feedback would be much appreciated.

What are you using on Plan 9 to post to wordpress?

Sincerely,

Christoph Lohmann

* Re: [9fans] Starting a blog on plan 9
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2012-05-08 15:55 ` Anthony Sorace
                   ` (4 subsequent siblings)
From: Anthony Sorace @ 2012-05-08 15:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

This looks pretty well done - a good beginner's hands-on view to
getting to know the system.

In the interest of addressing the "resources ... all in one place" issue,
though, I would encourage you to also contribute to the wiki[1]. I'm
not suggesting everything you're putting on your blog belongs on the
wiki (the wiki isn't really good for the sort of narrative sense good
blogs give), but it is the best place for centralized resources. There
is a wiki page with instructions on how to edit it[2].

Anthony

[1]	http://www.plan9.bell-labs.com/wiki/plan9/plan_9_wiki/
[2]	http://www.plan9.bell-labs.com/wiki/plan9/acme_wiki_instructions/index.html

[-- Attachment #2: Message signed with OpenPGP using GPGMail --]

* Re: [9fans] Starting a blog on plan 9
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2012-05-08 16:15 ` John Floren
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: John Floren @ 2012-05-08 16:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Tue, May 8, 2012 at 2:34 AM, IainWS <iainws@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi there! I am trying to get involved more with plan 9 but having some
> trouble finding resources on it that are all in one place. I have
> started a blog so that I can add resources to make things more simple
> for new users, and for the community in general. What do people think
> about this?
>
> You can find the link to this here:
>
> http://plan9docs.wordpress.com/
>
> Any feedback would be much appreciated.

Could you elaborate on your choice of using "sam -d"? It does make
things easier to translate into a textual blog format, without having
to worry about the windows. On the other hand, without the graphical
interface, sam is really just a super-enhanced ed(1), which is
certainly useful in itself but (in my opinion) not as convenient.

You might also consider making some youtube videos if you feel
confident enough; I made a few some years back and they were generally
well-received by the random youtubers who found them. Just please make
sure the things you're talking about are accurate--spreading bad
information about Plan 9 is worse than doing nothing :)

john

* Re: [9fans] Starting a blog on plan 9
@ 2012-05-08 20:23   ` Yaroslav
From: Yaroslav @ 2012-05-08 20:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> Could you elaborate on your choice of using "sam -d"?

Agree, 'sam -d' is not an entry-level choice.

* Re: [9fans] Starting a blog on plan 9
                   ` (4 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2012-05-09  8:49 ` IainWS
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: IainWS @ 2012-05-09  8:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On May 9, 2:15 am, j...@jfloren.net (John Floren) wrote:
> On Tue, May 8, 2012 at 2:34 AM, IainWS <iai...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi there! I am trying to get involved more with plan 9 but having some
> > trouble finding resources on it that are all in one place. I have
> > started a blog so that I can add resources to make things more simple
> > for new users, and for the community in general. What do people think
> > about this?
>
> > You can find the link to this here:
>
> >http://plan9docs.wordpress.com/
>
> > Any feedback would be much appreciated.
>
> Could you elaborate on your choice of using "sam -d"? It does make
> things easier to translate into a textual blog format, without having
> to worry about the windows. On the other hand, without the graphical
> interface, sam is really just a super-enhanced ed(1), which is
> certainly useful in itself but (in my opinion) not as convenient.
>
> You might also consider making some youtube videos if you feel
> confident enough; I made a few some years back and they were generally
> well-received by the random youtubers who found them. Just please make
> sure the things you're talking about are accurate--spreading bad
> information about Plan 9 is worse than doing nothing :)
>
> john

Thanks john, I Intend to constantly edit the blog so that information
that goes in is accurate and up to date. Please if you notice anything
that is incorrect (there is bound to be something) then pointing it
out would be really helpful.

* Re: [9fans] Starting a blog on plan 9
                   ` (5 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2012-05-09  8:49 ` IainWS
       [not found] ` <4753aa01-47ee-4945-aa82-9da4691190c3@sm6g2000pbc.googlegroups.co>
From: IainWS @ 2012-05-09  8:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On May 9, 6:23 am, yari...@gmail.com (Yaroslav) wrote:
> > Could you elaborate on your choice of using "sam -d"?
>
> Agree, 'sam -d' is not an entry-level choice.

Out of the two editors available I would really opt for using Acme
instead. If you happen to find yourself newly installing plan 9 then
someone might suggest Sam to use and you will be stuck trying to learn
everything about Sam before you can start. Learning only the basics of
Sam is enough for the new user, and learning it without the mouse
seems like a really good idea. I agree with you sam -d is not an entry
level choice, Acme is best for this. In my next post I showed how to
write hello world in Sam and then suggest Acme for editing files from
there on.

@ 2012-05-09 12:09   ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2012-05-09 12:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Out of the two editors available I would really opt for using Acme

there are three (ed).

> instead. If you happen to find yourself newly installing plan 9 then
> someone might suggest Sam to use and you will be stuck trying to learn
> everything about Sam before you can start. Learning only the basics of
> Sam is enough for the new user, and learning it without the mouse
> seems like a really good idea. I agree with you sam -d is not an entry
> level choice, Acme is best for this. In my next post I showed how to

using sam without the mouse to edit a file without -d is not possible.  even
sticking to ed-style commands in the command window, the mouse
is needed to select a frame to display the edited file in.

- erik

* Re: [9fans] Starting a blog on plan 9
@ 2012-05-09 12:16     ` Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2012-05-09 12:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Wed, May 9, 2012 at 8:09 AM, erik quanstrom <quanstro@quanstro.net> wrote:
>> Sam is enough for the new user, and learning it without the mouse
>> seems like a really good idea. I agree with you sam -d is not an entry

I think it's much easier to learn sam _with_ the mouse, and only then
move on to sam -d for times when just want the typescript window and
not to look at any of the files.  "sam -d" is really not an editor for
beginners.  For the kind of minor editing that you're explaining in
your blog post, I can't think of a single reason to reach for "sam -d"
instead of "ed", but it would be more common to start acme or plain
sam instead.  It's not like Eclipse where you have to wait minutes for
the thing to start.

Russ

* Re: [9fans] Starting a blog on plan 9
@ 2012-05-09 13:27       ` Charles Forsyth
From: Charles Forsyth @ 2012-05-09 13:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

How do you get it to start so quickly?

@ 2012-05-09 15:04         ` dexen deVries
From: dexen deVries @ 2012-05-09 15:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Wednesday 09 of May 2012 14:27:03 Charles Forsyth wrote:
> How do you get it to start so quickly?
>
> On 9 May 2012 13:16, Russ Cox <rsc@swtch.com> wrote:
> > It's not like Eclipse where you have to wait minutes for
> > the thing to start.

<![bragging[

p9p Acme starts up in < 2 seconds. with a bit of scripting & plumbing, it is
almost equivalent to Eclipse (the good parts) -- at least according to my co-
worker ;-)

]]>

--
dexen deVries

Until real software engineering is developed, the next best practice is to
develop with a dynamic system that has extreme late binding in all aspects.
-- Alan Kay

* Re: [9fans] Starting a blog on plan 9
@ 2012-05-09 18:49   ` steve
From: steve @ 2012-05-09 18:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

in support of sam, i use it and always have, i never
got to the point with acme that it felt worth the effort of changing.

sam is not an an introductory editor, its an alternative.

the one place where i do use acme is the wiki, there is no sam
wiki interface... unless you know different?

On 9 May 2012, at 08:49 AM, IainWS <iainws@gmail.com> wrote:

> On May 9, 6:23 am, yari...@gmail.com (Yaroslav) wrote:
>>> Could you elaborate on your choice of using "sam -d"?
>>
>> Agree, 'sam -d' is not an entry-level choice.
>
> Out of the two editors available I would really opt for using Acme
> instead. If you happen to find yourself newly installing plan 9 then
> someone might suggest Sam to use and you will be stuck trying to learn
> everything about Sam before you can start. Learning only the basics of
> Sam is enough for the new user, and learning it without the mouse
> seems like a really good idea. I agree with you sam -d is not an entry
> level choice, Acme is best for this. In my next post I showed how to
> write hello world in Sam and then suggest Acme for editing files from
> there on.

* Re: [9fans] Starting a blog on plan 9
                   ` (7 preceding siblings ...)
       [not found] ` <4753aa01-47ee-4945-aa82-9da4691190c3@sm6g2000pbc.googlegroups.co>
@ 2012-05-10 11:35 ` IainWS
From: IainWS @ 2012-05-10 11:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On May 10, 4:49 am, st...@quintile.net (steve) wrote:
> in support of sam, i use it and always have, i never
> got to the point with acme that it felt worth the effort of changing.
>
> sam is not an an introductory editor, its an alternative.
>
> the one place where i do use acme is the wiki, there is no sam
> wiki interface... unless you know different?

> >> Agree, 'sam -d' is not an entry-level choice.
>
> > Out of the two editors available I would really opt for using Acme
> > instead. If you happen to find yourself newly installing plan 9 then
> > someone might suggest Sam to use and you will be stuck trying to learn
> > everything about Sam before you can start. Learning only the basics of
> > Sam is enough for the new user, and learning it without the mouse
> > seems like a really good idea. I agree with you sam -d is not an entry
> > level choice, Acme is best for this. In my next post I showed how to
> > write hello world in Sam and then suggest Acme for editing files from
> > there on.

No I haven't managed to explore as far as editing the wiki!